Pub people

4 years 11 months ago #640258 by NewavaMike

Troponin wrote: These are fantastic, Mike! Your photography is really improving! 

Thanks Troponin !!  Encouragement keeps us going !!  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #640259 by NewavaMike
A few more....  

This last one is two monks at the St. Benedictine Brewery in Mt. Angel Oregon.  They brew beer and drink it too apparently 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 11 months ago #640321 by Sarit Kevesh
This is a good set. I like the composition of the second shot. The fact that I cannot see his face, makes more mysterious. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
4 years 11 months ago #640450 by NewavaMike

Sarit Kevesh wrote: This is a good set. I like the composition of the second shot. The fact that I cannot see his face, makes more mysterious. 

Thank you.  I did the best I could in pp.  I guess what I finished with is what is called "noise" ??  To the left of everyone there was a group of about 10 musicians playing live.  Guitars, bass, harmonica, slide guitar, keyboard, trombone, trumpets.  It was really cool.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #640481 by Jack Mason
Nice set. I like the first shot the most. The guy reading a book is just very good to watch. 

4 years 11 months ago #640533 by Troponin
I think youre ready for a little lighting challenge!

In the second photo, the man’s face is too dark. You caught some back lighting but underexposed the front. Back lighting is tricky and takes some practice. It’s not difficult to underexpose your subject’s face and overexpose with the backlighting. When the two become more balanced, you will get a better overall exposure. Remember that with backlighting, the subject’s front will appear a little darker than usual, but should still be able to make out details. 

The challenge is this; Trying placing the windows at your subjects side, front, and back, and attempt to get proper exposures. Play with shadows a bit to create more drama. Search for a chart that shows you the different angles of a single light to create shadows. Rembrandt is a common one, although if you aren’t telling your model how to pose and stay still, this can be rather difficult. Just look at a chart to give you an idea of all of te different options. There are something like 6-8 single light angles that you can hit that will give nice shadows and detail. Once you become familiar with them, you will start to notice them on people’s faces when you don’t have the camera in your hands and you will start seeing the shots!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #640657 by Steve Rodriguez
This is a really good pointer. 

4 years 10 months ago #642241 by NewavaMike

Troponin wrote: I think youre ready for a little lighting challenge!

In the second photo, the man’s face is too dark. You caught some back lighting but underexposed the front. Back lighting is tricky and takes some practice. It’s not difficult to underexpose your subject’s face and overexpose with the backlighting. When the two become more balanced, you will get a better overall exposure. Remember that with backlighting, the subject’s front will appear a little darker than usual, but should still be able to make out details. 

The challenge is this; Trying placing the windows at your subjects side, front, and back, and attempt to get proper exposures. Play with shadows a bit to create more drama. Search for a chart that shows you the different angles of a single light to create shadows. Rembrandt is a common one, although if you aren’t telling your model how to pose and stay still, this can be rather difficult. Just look at a chart to give you an idea of all of te different options. There are something like 6-8 single light angles that you can hit that will give nice shadows and detail. Once you become familiar with them, you will start to notice them on people’s faces when you don’t have the camera in your hands and you will start seeing the shots!

Is this a shooting challenge or a post challenge ?   I just took the shot from where I was sitting

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #642242 by NewavaMike
Another shot.  I thought it would be a better shot if the woman server in the bg was not there, but I didn't know how, (or have the right tools) to remover her very well.  

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 16000
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:06pm

ISO: 16000
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:06pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #642316 by Monica Martinez
Nice set here also. But the highlights in the left side is a bit blown. Needs to be toned down a little. 

4 years 10 months ago #642350 by Troponin

NewavaMike wrote:
Is this a shooting challenge or a post challenge ?   I just took the shot from where I was sitting

Iwas just giving you an idea for a fun exercise in windows and natural lighting. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642852 by Sara Miles

Troponin wrote: These are fantastic, Mike! Your photography is really improving! 

Nice capture! This guy has a lot of character in his face. Really good shot. 

4 years 10 months ago #645186 by NewavaMike
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 15:53pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #645902 by Hannah Williams

NewavaMike wrote:

ISO: 100
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 15:53pm

I don't particularly like the render in here. Although the scene is really good but the noise reduction is I think too much.

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #645907 by GaryA

NewavaMike wrote: A few more....  

This last one is two monks at the St. Benedictine Brewery in Mt. Angel Oregon.  They brew beer and drink it too apparently 

The white haired gent reading the book is my fave. While I find this well exposed and processed, it could use a touch of contrast for a true black (at least on my monitor). Or any other method to attain a black while preserving most of the existing DR.  FYI- Most B&W photos need some black in them somewhere, as a baseline for the other tones.  Monks started brew beer so they would keel over during fastings, which were often. (I guess they'd rather keel over from alcohol. ;) )  They called beer "liquid bread". Later, they started commercializing, over-producing more than required by the monastery, and selling the brews with the profits going to charity.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024