Pub people

11 months 1 week ago #640258 by NewavaMike

Troponin wrote: These are fantastic, Mike! Your photography is really improving! 


Thanks Troponin !!  Encouragement keeps us going !!  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #640259 by NewavaMike
A few more....  







This last one is two monks at the St. Benedictine Brewery in Mt. Angel Oregon.  They brew beer and drink it too apparently 


Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 months 1 week ago #640321 by Sarit Kevesh
This is a good set. I like the composition of the second shot. The fact that I cannot see his face, makes more mysterious. 


The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 months 1 week ago #640450 by NewavaMike

Sarit Kevesh wrote: This is a good set. I like the composition of the second shot. The fact that I cannot see his face, makes more mysterious. 


Thank you.  I did the best I could in pp.  I guess what I finished with is what is called "noise" ??  To the left of everyone there was a group of about 10 musicians playing live.  Guitars, bass, harmonica, slide guitar, keyboard, trombone, trumpets.  It was really cool.  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 months 1 week ago #640481 by Jack Mason
Nice set. I like the first shot the most. The guy reading a book is just very good to watch. 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 months 1 week ago #640533 by Troponin
I think youre ready for a little lighting challenge!

In the second photo, the man’s face is too dark. You caught some back lighting but underexposed the front. Back lighting is tricky and takes some practice. It’s not difficult to underexpose your subject’s face and overexpose with the backlighting. When the two become more balanced, you will get a better overall exposure. Remember that with backlighting, the subject’s front will appear a little darker than usual, but should still be able to make out details. 

The challenge is this; Trying placing the windows at your subjects side, front, and back, and attempt to get proper exposures. Play with shadows a bit to create more drama. Search for a chart that shows you the different angles of a single light to create shadows. Rembrandt is a common one, although if you aren’t telling your model how to pose and stay still, this can be rather difficult. Just look at a chart to give you an idea of all of te different options. There are something like 6-8 single light angles that you can hit that will give nice shadows and detail. Once you become familiar with them, you will start to notice them on people’s faces when you don’t have the camera in your hands and you will start seeing the shots!


Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 months 1 week ago #640657 by Steve Rodriguez
This is a really good pointer. 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 3 weeks ago #642241 by NewavaMike

Troponin wrote: I think youre ready for a little lighting challenge!

In the second photo, the man’s face is too dark. You caught some back lighting but underexposed the front. Back lighting is tricky and takes some practice. It’s not difficult to underexpose your subject’s face and overexpose with the backlighting. When the two become more balanced, you will get a better overall exposure. Remember that with backlighting, the subject’s front will appear a little darker than usual, but should still be able to make out details. 

The challenge is this; Trying placing the windows at your subjects side, front, and back, and attempt to get proper exposures. Play with shadows a bit to create more drama. Search for a chart that shows you the different angles of a single light to create shadows. Rembrandt is a common one, although if you aren’t telling your model how to pose and stay still, this can be rather difficult. Just look at a chart to give you an idea of all of te different options. There are something like 6-8 single light angles that you can hit that will give nice shadows and detail. Once you become familiar with them, you will start to notice them on people’s faces when you don’t have the camera in your hands and you will start seeing the shots!


Is this a shooting challenge or a post challenge ?   I just took the shot from where I was sitting


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #642242 by NewavaMike
Another shot.  I thought it would be a better shot if the woman server in the bg was not there, but I didn't know how, (or have the right tools) to remover her very well.  

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 16000
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:06pm



Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 16000
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:06pm


Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 3 weeks ago #642316 by Monica Martinez
Nice set here also. But the highlights in the left side is a bit blown. Needs to be toned down a little. 


The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 3 weeks ago #642350 by Troponin

NewavaMike wrote:
Is this a shooting challenge or a post challenge ?   I just took the shot from where I was sitting


Iwas just giving you an idea for a fun exercise in windows and natural lighting. 


Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 3 weeks ago #642852 by Sara Miles

Troponin wrote: These are fantastic, Mike! Your photography is really improving! 


Nice capture! This guy has a lot of character in his face. Really good shot. 


The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 5 days ago #645186 by NewavaMike
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 15:53pm


Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 11 hours ago #645902 by Hannah Williams

NewavaMike wrote:

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 15:53pm


I don't particularly like the render in here. Although the scene is really good but the noise reduction is I think too much.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 10 hours ago - 10 months 10 hours ago #645907 by GaryA

NewavaMike wrote: A few more....  







This last one is two monks at the St. Benedictine Brewery in Mt. Angel Oregon.  They brew beer and drink it too apparently 


The white haired gent reading the book is my fave. While I find this well exposed and processed, it could use a touch of contrast for a true black (at least on my monitor). Or any other method to attain a black while preserving most of the existing DR.  FYI- Most B&W photos need some black in them somewhere, as a baseline for the other tones.  Monks started brew beer so they would keel over during fastings, which were often. (I guess they'd rather keel over from alcohol. ;) )  They called beer "liquid bread". Later, they started commercializing, over-producing more than required by the monastery, and selling the brews with the profits going to charity.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

802.3K

205K

1.62M

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020

If you're wondering how to improve your photography business, look no further than these sensible tips. Gain new skills, expand your service offerings, and be prepared to expand your business in the future.

Mar 25, 2020

If simple photography mistakes are getting you down, learn how to avoid common beginner photography mistakes so you can improve the quality of your photos. These tips will get you started!

Mar 25, 2020

Looking for things to do at home to pass the time? Need some activities for quarantine? This list will get you going with tons of ideas and resources!

Mar 24, 2020

Photography insurance is a must-have, yet some photographers roll the dice without it. In this guide, learn how to get photography insurance without paying high premiums.

Mar 24, 2020