Still Waters Solitary Tree

4 years 1 month ago #674291 by Brachenland

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674447 by Aaron Rogers
Wow! This is incredible! 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brachenland
4 years 1 month ago #674457 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry but I don't buy that. That scene did not exist ever and
never will… I know you know what I mean.

I can't remember seeing a tree growing in its own reflexion.
The effect is rather on the spectacular side… if one doesn't
know better.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674468 by The Barbarian
Nevertheless, it's an arresting image, as wall as being well-rendered.

4 years 1 month ago #674495 by garyrhook

The Barbarian wrote: Nevertheless, it's an arresting image, as wall as being well-rendered.

I was engaged by it.

Then I looked at it closely and realized that it's an edit. And not a particularly effective one. The crop is also problematic (for me).

There's also no water here.

That said, I like the tones and sharpness. 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #674516 by Brachenland
Here's the common issue with this picture, other artist welcome this image as a work of art. While photographers scoff at the image claiming it can't be done. I'm an artist first, photographer second and yes it can be done. Without going into too much detail, Using a Cokin Filter mount with a 3D printed "gig" a small mirror was set in place. Took me three hours to achieve this shot cause I wasn't able to line the mirror up correctly and I seriously need a larger live view screen. So let's keep an open mind as this being art (in a type sense) instead of you classic form of a photograph. Either you like it as art of you're going to hate it as a photograph. I hope to return to this location and attempt this image again, but with a few more addons and try a couple of long exposures.

As a follow up, If you don't like the above image as art, then I suspect that you'll not like this one either done with the same mirrored setup but using a yellow filter and my crappy cell phone.

As a comparison, my images use "Gigs" or homemade devices is no difference that those of you who use post editing or post processing to edit your images. I just happen to achieve my images without post processing (other than converting images from color to black and white). 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674621 by garyrhook
So you used a mirror. Which, in the end, is no different than using Photoshop.

I suggest that your viewer doesn't care. And as a artist, I think you understand that.

The problem with your OP is that it purports to represent something, and we find that the image was not successful in accomplishing that goal. What you call yourself is irrelevant; it's about the image. And I will argue that "I did it in camera" is also irrelevant if the image isn't successful. Actually, I think it's irrelevant anyways.

The image above, however, is far more interesting to me. It's more abstract, and while the reflection creates linearity that may or may not appeal to some, the composition is, for me, more compelling.

That said, I'm seeing some halos. Perhaps revisiting your processing may be worthwhile? Just sayin'.

But what the hell do I know? According to some, I apparently don't know how to critique an image.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #674644 by Brachenland

garyrhook wrote: That said, I'm seeing some halos. Perhaps revisiting your processing may be worthwhile? Just sayin'..

I'll address this comment, As I said above, I used my crappy cell phone which never takes good images. But on this day it was the only camera I had on me at this time. So yes, at some point I will return to this location with better equipment.

Also, it is my fault for placing an image (which doesn't need to be critiqued) in an area where others would critique said image anyway.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674663 by Nikon Shooter
The second shot is working well, I'll buy that one. The 
relatively abstract graphic approach does it all.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674760 by garyrhook

BrokenCanon wrote:

garyrhook wrote: That said, I'm seeing some halos. Perhaps revisiting your processing may be worthwhile? Just sayin'..

I'll address this comment, As I said above, I used my crappy cell phone which never takes good images. But on this day it was the only camera I had on me at this time. So yes, at some point I will return to this location with better equipment.

Also, it is my fault for placing an image (which doesn't need to be critiqued) in an area where others would critique said image anyway.

Firstly, my apologies for starting an unwelcome conversation. Had it been clear that you were not interested in comments, I would have moved along. No worries.

But (as I recently wrote in another thread) what's the point of sharing images if you don't want any response? Or is it a matter of "likes"? Which is fine, too, if one understands the intent. But that sounds more like Instagram, not a photo forum. I could certainly be wrong, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674770 by Brachenland
I get the impression that you're (garyrhook) the forum bully, as you've made bully comments to the site founder/host Alex as seen here:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/canon-came...-huge-news-for-canon

Your critiques aren't just geared toward photographs but the over appearance of fellow members.

Let me remind others here, I posted my image within a double category which seems to indicate this is also a "General Display" area and in doing so I'm not looking for any critiques because I've not said or asked that any of my image be critiqued. I believe others should follow suit if they want images on display or critiqued by adding the said abbreviation within my title.

IE: [C&C] or [G&D]

In other words, To anyone seeking to post critiques towards my images,  if you do not like how I'm doing things within the forum, report them to the moderators or avoid my topics all together. Sadly the forum hasn't offered to help me with a couple of my issues manly "how to block or ignore" or I would surely use this on a couple of members.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674896 by garyrhook

BrokenCanon wrote: I get the impression that you're (garyrhook) the forum bully, as you've made bully comments to the site founder/host Alex as seen here:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/canon-came...-huge-news-for-canon

Actually, the last time Alex and I spoke on the phone, he expressed appreciation for my contributions here. And if you think suggesting that the audio on his videos can be improved, and that he could add some swag/branding, are bad things, then we see things quite differently. I've been hanging out on PT for several years, and want nothing but the best for it. Which includes the goal of quality production work, even by the owner.

That said, I appreciate what you're saying, and I would not disagree with the idea of marking images as "just sharing" or "comments appreciated" or what not. My presumptions on forums (not just this one) are not unique when it comes to posting images: the assumption is (almost universally) pro feedback unless otherwise specifically stated on the image, or in a forum area intended for no comments. (PT has none of the latter, but perhaps it could/should.) My apologies for suggesting clarification of intent beforehand.

When one makes an assumption based on preferences and preconceptions, rather than finding out how things work, then one can be surprised. Don't you think? If engaging in a conversation about that makes me a bully, then, again, we see things quite differently. I'm not telling you what to do or not do, I've not attacked you (or anyone), certainly made nothing personal. Having an opinion about the unwillingness of some humans to learn does not make my a bully, either.

And Alex knows that if I step over any line that he defines all he has to do is call me and I will forthwith, without delay, issue a public apology. I'm not above admitting I'm in the wrong when evidence says so.

That said, congratulations on your image as IPOTD. An excellent demonstration of perspective when it comes to image creation. I hope it encourages many others.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674902 by Stefan-Olsson
hahaha...Drama...I wouldnt be to concerned with these comments OP.....Ive yet to see anything more than a phonestyle snap from many people on this site, that loves to have an input.....No names shall be given:)

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674943 by Shadowfixer1
I'm always puzzled and intrigued by people who have disdain for people making comments, critiques or suggestions when it comes to an image shared on a forum. Are they so fragile that they wilt at criticism or do they think their images are so good they are above reproach? I have no idea but always find it amusing at the different reactions. I guess I'm too dumb to be offended by critiques or comments on my images. I either agree with them or not but it doesn't effect me either way. I do what I do and if I think someone's comment is helpful, I'll use it. Now for the newbies out there, Gary is our pit bull but if you treat him nice, he will roll over and ask for a belly rub. :lol:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024