my first black and white

4 years 1 week ago #679040 by keith1955
I am new to high tech photo gear , after loosing a lot of pals over the last year i have said stuff the cost to everything i want hence my set up. I have all canon gear , a 90d , a 50mm f 1.4 , a 50mm f 1.8 the 100-400mm mk2 zoom , the zoom will be for dophins. 

With a few extras the whole package came out at just under £4,000

As a noobie i am slowly getting to grips with how everything works and in a few weeks i will be going on a "get you off auto" photographic course. I have taken a lot of photos of this building to try out monochrome and the best setting on the day with the 50mm f 1.4 came out at shutter 1/500 F8 and iso 800.

You may not agree with my settings but as i say i am a noobie

FOOTNOTE:- Before anyone asks why i got 2 different 50mm , i got the F 1.8 without realising it is primarily for portraits so i got the 1.4 a few days later.

Attachments:
4 years 1 week ago #679046 by Nikon Shooter

keith1955 wrote: Before anyone asks why i got 2 different 50mm , i got the F 1.8 without realising it is primarily for portraits so i got the 1.4 a few days later.

Really, Keith, serious?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679047 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Keith

Firstly - WELCOME to the photo forum - you will find plenty of people here with the knowledge and skills to assist you

Your post is titled 'my first black and white' - but where is it? ~ maybe try again to insert your image

Okay - back to your equipment ~ I do not use dSLR cameras (preferring superzooms) but cannot see the need for 2x 50mm lenses. Meethinks that you have been sold a pup here ... see if you can take one back for a refund

The 100-400 will become very useful for more than 'just dolphins' ~ but if you start to find the weight of the camera plus lens is too much, you might need a good monopod when out and about.

ps- here's a link to some of my recent long-zoom pix
www.photographytalk.com/forum/sports-and...orning-surfer#662717

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 1 week ago #679058 by garyrhook
You don't need two 50mm lenses, and neither of them is good for portraits. You'd be better off returning the f/1.8 and getting a 35mm lens. Something wider will give you choices.

That said, using your kit and learning about what you want to do will help you decide future purchases. So I wouldn't worry too much about anything else right now.

Go have fun.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679067 by Brachenland
The ideal as a new photographer is to purchase kits lenses just to familiarize yourself with what lens works best at what setting and what distance. As an artist who's always had a camera in my hands since the 60's I've grown out of using kit or multiple range lenses for my shots. I'm sticking more toward print or fixed lenses for my images. I wouldn't suggest that you jump right into these fixed lenses but seems you've already acquired 2.

The 50mm is ideal for all types of walk about shots, but for portraits, you best consider the 85mm lens. I'd get rid of the 50mm /f1.4 for an 85mm 

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681445 by Aaron Rogers
:thumbsup:  I am learning reading the comments as well. 

3 years 11 months ago #681492 by keith1955
Thanks for feedback i guess i made a mistake getting the 50mm 1.8 but then most people make some sort of purchasing mistake from time to time. At least knowbody said i waste £2,000 on the zoom. I  have now purchased the 28 to 105 that will give me more flexibility right un to the starting range of the big lens.

But thanks to corona virus i have only been able to test it in my garden , ref to corona virus , stay safe , in a circle of 16 bungalows i have lost 2 neighbours

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024