Your thoughts on this please

10 years 1 month ago #4793 by Obadiah
Hi all,

I am new here, and would love your comments on a pic I took on a recent trip to the USA. This was taken at Arlington Cemetry in Washington DC.

Happy to hear all constructive criticism. :)

Cheers

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 weeks ago #4996 by mggraz
I like it! The only thing I would consider doing is using the clone tool in Photoshop to take out the white stone that is in front competing with the main subject.

10 years 2 weeks ago #5909 by flyingv
Nice photo!!

9 years 11 months ago #7988 by bdroberts
I have taken the liberty of working on the image to demonstrate the composition.
With the angles of the stones and the one that is different, you already have a command to look. but by placing the one that is important in a proper composition it has more dramma and impact.

I have changed the crop to place the important story telling feature in the composition of thirds.
using crash point 3.

BD Roberts, M. Photog., CPP, EICPP

www.bdroberts.com

Photo Consultant to the industry

Attachments:

9 years 11 months ago #7989 by ldkd
you seem to be full of photography knowledge...keep posting so i can keep learning!!

9 years 11 months ago #7990 by Martin

bdroberts wrote: I have taken the liberty of working on the image to demonstrate the composition.
With the angles of the stones and the one that is different, you already have a command to look. but by placing the one that is important in a proper composition it has more dramma and impact.

I have changed the crop to place the important story telling feature in the composition of thirds.
using crash point 3.

Excellent job!!

Photo Comments

9 years 11 months ago #8089 by bdroberts
IDKD...
I am like an outboard motor. If someone pulls the starter cord, with a question or thought, then I respond by running 4 cycle, and things just come spinning out. LOL:ohmy: :P

Yes, I started in this business in 1963, and have logged a lot of experiances.

And what I have found is that one never stops learning no matter how long you have made a living or played at/with photography.
It is a stair step learning process. YOu learn, then do for a time, then learn more and step up a notch, then learn some more.
For those just starting out the best advise I ever received was being told to look back 5 years to see the improvment in knowledge. High end professional photography is not learned overnight or in a year or two. Just because you have a good camera no more makes one a quality photographer than me owning a carpenters square make me a builder of quality homes.

BD Roberts, M. Photog., CPP, EICPP

www.bdroberts.com

Photo Consultant to the industry

9 years 9 months ago #23135 by TAHIMY
This is a beautiful shot! :thumbsup: I wonder if you took one with a lower view...

t

9 years 9 months ago #23309 by Britt340
IMO, the branch or whatever is in the upper right hand corner is distracting and it takes away from the perfect formation of the rest of the picture.
The white stone in front of the main subject stone is taking away from the main subject.

9 years 9 months ago #23326 by Stealthy Ninja
Nice, but what's been said I mainly agree with.

9 years 9 months ago #23449 by Obadiah
Thanks for all the feedback...very helpful!

9 years 9 months ago #23519 by canon4me
In an online photo course...I took a pic of a cementary with a mound of rocks- a grave... and the teacher commented that I should have gotten closer to it! lol I just couldn't do it.... this is good with that one gravestone different from the others.. I think I would get rid of the branch up in the right corner...otherwise..I think its pretty neat!

9 years 9 months ago #23588 by Rob pix4u2
Nice shot- :thumbsup:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

9 years 9 months ago #23608 by Scotty

Britt340 wrote: IMO, the branch or whatever is in the upper right hand corner is distracting and it takes away from the perfect formation of the rest of the picture.
The white stone in front of the main subject stone is taking away from the main subject.

Agreed. It also appears to be really soft.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

9 years 9 months ago #29739 by Rob_W
Nice shot, without the branch and the white stone
in the foreground it would be very good...

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV the right camera for you? Or should you opt for the cheaper Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III? Find out in this review!

Nov 09, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Learning how to use a slider should begin with some basic slider techniques. Get some tips, tricks, and insights on simple slider shots in this quick tutorial.

Nov 23, 2020

Acrylic prints can be a beautiful addition to your home. But if you've never bought one, you probably have acrylic print questions. Get the answers you need in this buyer's guide.

Nov 20, 2020

To stabilize a camera doesn't always mean having a tripod. Instead, there are many tripod alternatives and makeshift tripods you can use to stabilize your camera.

Nov 20, 2020

What is focal length? How does it differ from effective focal length? In this tutorial, we'll shed light on the differences between the two.

Nov 17, 2020

These underused Photoshop tools can help you unlock your creativity and create more impactful images.

Nov 17, 2020

Search no more for the best laptops for photographers under $1000. This list includes five of the top picks based on specs, features, and price.

Nov 16, 2020

"I'm going to use ND filters" is one thing. Knowing which ND filter you need is another. In this guide, we'll compare and contrast common types of ND filters.

Nov 16, 2020

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020