EOS 6D is Officially Announced

11 years 7 months ago #252356 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

rmeyer7 wrote: Sounds like solid advice. Guess I'll wait til they release a mk. iv and see what kind of price drops happen with the mk. iii.

That'll probably be 2-3 years.

My thought exactly. The 5Diii has just been released. Not the best time to be waiting for the next model.
11 years 6 months ago #252828 by rmeyer7
True, but for me it's a matter of want rather than need. I don't make a living with my camera gear and don't think it's going to become a true necessity to upgrade in the next couple of years. So it comes down to whether self-control or gearlust wins between now and then...

11 years 6 months ago #252929 by Stealthy Ninja
Just so long as regret doesn't happen later. ;)

Nothing worse than buying a camera and then hating it later. Then you lose money switching to the camera you want.
11 years 6 months ago #253026 by rmeyer7
Yeah good point! I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm settling for a 5Dii or 6D.

Honestly if the upgrade bug gets the best of me before Canon release their next 5D, I'll seriously consider switching systems. For the price of a 5Dii I could pick up a D700 and get the low light performance and AF that I want. Then if I sold my 5D and current lenses I could get some nice Nikkor glass. Not sold on that idea yet, but it's a real possibility.

11 years 6 months ago #253404 by Solstar
Kinda looks like a full frame 60d without the articulated screen and plus gps/wifi. Seems to me they could have stuffed the 7Ds autofocus in there, though that might eat into the MkIII. And no EF-s support is kinda lame, there is plenty of resolution in there for most shots to justify it. In their attempt to make cameras for all people they may have made one for no one. We'll see.

11 years 6 months ago #253429 by rmeyer7
The camera for no one, yeah I think that about sums it up!

Obviously we'd expect Canon to "compromise" on some features in favor of others (read: cripple the camera so they don't cut into their 5Diii customer base), but they picked the wrong features to leave out! The AF is the biggest deal breaker of all though.

I couldn't care less about wifi or gps. I don't really need EF-S support. Articulating screen -- not a big deal. I could even imagine sacrificing video in favor of multiple cross-type AF points. But to even release a full frame camera without that is just dumb at this point.

11 years 6 months ago #253461 by KCook
Think of it as a full frame Rebel. Only who was clamoring for a FF Rebel anyways? Many Rebel shoppers don't even know what FF is. At least Canon can afford these mis-fires.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024