Thinking about buying a Canon 5D Mark III, can you talk me out of it?

11 years 4 months ago #264249 by Ben Mayer
Might as well make post #1 here interesting. I've been a Canon shooter for years and currently own a 5D Mark II and love the camera. Money isn't exactly growing on tree's these days and I wanted to hear from 5D Mark III owners or those that have researched the camera enough to make recommendations on it.

Ben

(Thanks!)

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #264258 by internetchick
I bought one, but I've only had it a week. I am coming from a T3i not a Mark II, so for me this was a huge, worthwhile upgrade. It's so freakin' nice. I am loving the low light performance on it. Hopefully some experienced photographers and owners can chime in, but you won't catch me talking you out of it.

11 years 4 months ago #264385 by Stealthy Ninja
I had a 5D and a 5Dii before. I then bought a 1D4 and realised how crappy the 5Dii AF system really is. About a month later I switched to Nikon for a D3s and was happy with their full frame AF glory.

Since then I've moved back to being a video/photo guy a lot more and with the 5Diii and the 1Dx Canon have TOTALLY fixed their Full Frame AF issues. So I sold all my Nikon stuff (including a D800 AND a D800e) and got myself a 1Dx. Man... I've never met a camera like this. The AF is amazing, the feel is great and the video... oh the video is incredible. I love it so much.

The 5Diii shares the AF system of the 1Dx and the video side of things is much better than the 5Dii from what I hear.

For AF alone the upgrade is well worth it. You'll really be happy with the 5Diii and you'll wonder why you could ever put up with the crappy AF on the 5Dii.

So no, don't buy it. You'll realise how bad the 5Dii is :P
11 years 4 months ago #264985 by Ben Mayer
Those are some pretty big shoes to fill! I can't wait now. :woohoo:

11 years 4 months ago #265109 by TTGSteve
I'm not going to talk you out of it, because I'd highly suggest upgrading. The 5D III is drool-worthy.

11 years 3 months ago #266043 by bhowdy
I can't talk you out of buying the 5D Mark III either. I have one and LOVE it .... Had the 5d Mark II and hated the focusing system and sold it after about 4,500 shutter actuation's.

My camera body line-up .... Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 7D ... for me a camera has to have a fast accurate focus system.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

11 years 3 months ago #266053 by Scotty

bhowdy wrote: I can't talk you out of buying the 5D Mark III either. I have one and LOVE it .... Had the 5d Mark II and hated the focusing system and sold it after about 4,500 shutter actuation's.

My camera body line-up .... Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 7D ... for me a camera has to have a fast accurate focus system.

I couldn't agree more. If I went canon, it'd be for the 5 mark III.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #266258 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

bhowdy wrote: I can't talk you out of buying the 5D Mark III either. I have one and LOVE it .... Had the 5d Mark II and hated the focusing system and sold it after about 4,500 shutter actuation's.

I couldn't agree more. If I went canon, it'd be for the 5 mark III.

1Dx > 5Diii :banana:
11 years 3 months ago #266260 by sHe
I was very fortunate to receive the 5D Mark iii for Christmas and, so far, am extremely happy with it. Like others above, I was never madly 'in love' with the Mark ii. So far I AM IN LOVE with the AF system of the Mark ii, as well as the in camera HDR and multiple exposure features. The camera also performs VERY nicely in low light situations.

11 years 3 months ago #266277 by Henry Peach
I'm a 5DII shooter, and I'm not interested in the 5DIII. Too similar for my purposes. I'm not having any AF or other problems though. From looking at high ISO raw comparisons I'm much more impressed by the 6D.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024