Best canon lens for landscape photography

9 years 1 month ago #425608 by Chris Ly
If you really wanted to get into shooting landscapes, which would be the Holy Grail of Canon lenses to own?  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #425633 by KCook
My 50D would be happy with the EF 24mm ƒ/1.4L II USM.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #425644 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: My 50D would be happy with the EF 24mm ƒ/1.4L II USM.

Kelly

Landscape, huh? Why only 24mm, and what good is f/1.4 for landscapes? How do you see yourself using this?

On the other hand, a minimum focus distance of 3" fascinates me.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #425686 by effron
The Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 and adapter......:)

Semi serious now, Canon makes a 16-35 f/2.8, me thinks and it get pretty good reviews....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #425721 by KCook

garyrhook wrote:

KCook wrote: My 50D would be happy with the EF 24mm ƒ/1.4L II USM.

Kelly

Landscape, huh? Why only 24mm, and what good is f/1.4 for landscapes? How do you see yourself using this?

On the other hand, a minimum focus distance of 3" fascinates me.

On my 50D 24mm works out to 38mm effective FOV, which is where my eyeball lives.  Of course f/1.4 is not a big requirement.  But this particular lens, stopped down to the usual landscape apertures, has extra resolution.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #425950 by TvPhotos
I'm very happy with my Canon 16-35 f/2.8. 

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
9 years 1 month ago #426879 by Glen Martin
IMO, any focal combination under 35mm

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #480629 by compasiune11
I use for landscape my EF 16-35 F4 IS and my new EF 35 f1.4 L II, especialy in dark situations.
_______
Fotograf nunta Brasov
Canon 6D | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II |Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS

7 years 10 months ago #482919 by Tim Dordeck
Get yourself something between a 24mm and 35mm IMO

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #482924 by Scotty
Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2 Lens for the Canon Mount.

I'd have to have the canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS Mark 2 as well.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483020 by Screamin Scott
There is no such thing as the "Best", if there were, everyone would have it. That said, most any focal length can be used for landscape images. It all depends on what you are shooting & the distance away you are...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #483357 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: There is no such thing as the "Best", if there were, everyone would have it. That said, most any focal length can be used for landscape images. It all depends on what you are shooting & the distance away you are...

I agree 100 percent and limiting yourself to one lens will only be bad for you.  Believe it or not telelphoto lenses are great for landscape photography.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024