What makes L glass different from other Canon lenses?

7 years 6 months ago #499413 by Stic

Stic wrote:

KCook wrote: For starters, they are all full frame.  There are not, and never have been, any L labeled EF-S lenses.  Otherwise, everything gets upgraded (not just the glass).

Kelly

While this is technically true, the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM comes close to 'L spec" with three aspherical elements and one UD glass element.

Also, when viewing the images after downloading from camera, all shots taken with the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM show up as having an L lens icon in the corner, the same as shot's by my 100-400L do...

Go figure...

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499900 by PhotoViking

Stic wrote: ...when viewing the images after downloading from camera, all shots taken with the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM show up as having an L lens icon in the corner, the same as shot's by my 100-400L do...
Go figure...

According to (un)reliable sources Canon is considering making a "L-Lens certification" compulsory for all who wants to use those glasses......

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499902 by effron

PhotoViking wrote:

Stic wrote: ...when viewing the images after downloading from camera, all shots taken with the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM show up as having an L lens icon in the corner, the same as shot's by my 100-400L do...
Go figure...

According to (un)reliable sources Canon is considering making a "L-Lens certification" compulsory for all who wants to use those glasses......

That would certainly ensure the "L" series the lenses of snobs....:S

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #501737 by Scotty

PhotoViking wrote: Quality
Price
 - any or all....
Although I do have a Canon - camera I'll stick with Tamron lenses!

Are they weather resistant like the canon L's? Plus the resale value on 3rd party lenses tanks.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #502011 by PhotoViking

Scotty wrote:

PhotoViking wrote: Quality
Price
 - any or all....
Although I do have a Canon - camera I'll stick with Tamron lenses!

Are they weather resistant like the canon L's? Plus the resale value on 3rd party lenses tanks.

I haven't had any problems with the weather so far whereas I don't tend to shoot too much outside when it's raining or snowing. 
You definitely have a point when it comes to resale value! 

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502148 by effron
Tamron has come a long way, but they aren't in the same class as Canon's "L" lenses....That is of course, one reason for the difference in resale value...:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502473 by Scotty
Sigma and Tamron are really stepping up their game lately.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502511 by effron
Sigma has been making great macro lenses for a long time. They are certainly improving...the 24 /1.4 art lens had me stammering....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #503504 by PhotoViking
If you're making a living out of photography (or at least trying to.....) the cost of an "L" - lens might be justified but if, as in my case, you're a "hobby - snapper" I don't think the costs are justified. Unless, of course, money doesn't matter.........
(I'm imagining myself coming home, telling my wife"honey, no vacation this year - but look what a beautiful lens I've bought"...... I don't want to take that risk!)

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #503652 by Stic

PhotoViking wrote: "honey, no vacation this year - but look what a beautiful lens I've bought"

...fade in to news report...

...a man was found, dead, this morning, police believe his wife clubbed him to death with a Canon 'L' lens...

..sports and weather coming up...

:P

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhotoViking
7 years 5 months ago #504073 by effron
If you share all of your photo related purchases with your wife, you deserve what happens....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #504412 by Italian_Dreamer
Perfect Death to a photographer ahahahah ;)

An eye for an eye, LSD and antidepressants. Everything in balance. Buddhists call it karma and Christians call it the golden rule, Jews call it— I don't know. Rabbi Hillel said something poignant. Universe always settles the score.
Does it?
No, but it should.

House M.D

Daniel B.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #504413 by Italian_Dreamer
I cant Say if there's or Not a Big Difference,  i only Shoot with EF-S lenses i cant afford a Full frame Camera, so the best i can say for Now  is The Men Makes the Shoot, not the Camera ;)

I will have the opportunity to test a full frame camera with a nice lenses 70-200L
And then i will make my opinion ;)

An eye for an eye, LSD and antidepressants. Everything in balance. Buddhists call it karma and Christians call it the golden rule, Jews call it— I don't know. Rabbi Hillel said something poignant. Universe always settles the score.
Does it?
No, but it should.

House M.D

Daniel B.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #504453 by Stic
There's nothing wrong with 'crop' bodies, nor non 'L' lenses...worked well for me as an auto/motorsport journo for many years (did get a 100-400L a few years in)...

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #504531 by effron
I use both a crop and full frame. They do a couple things differently, but not much. I like them both....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024