T7i Video Limitation / Magic Lantern

5 years 11 months ago #582173 by JMASTERJ
Hi... I have searched and seems like this is not a popular topic anymore, or may I am not using the proper search terms.

I know in the past ML was big in helping the old Rebel cameras get continues video shooting with the hack, but I dont see anything for the T7i...

Are we at the mercy of waiting for ML to release an update, its been a while, or is there another solution?

BTW!  I COULD SWEAR a couple of times when I used the T7i video, it automatically continued the video and I thought hey, Canon entered a hack themselves... but now it doesn't work anymore.
I'm not exactly sure what is going on anymore.

5 years 11 months ago #582483 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582639 by JMASTERJ

5 years 11 months ago #582998 by garyrhook
A) Did you read the referenced article? Do we even need ML any longer?
2) What features in ML do you require, that a camera that is as new as a T7i doesn't provide?
C) What, precisely, is your question? I can't tell what you're asking about.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #583015 by JMASTERJ

garyrhook wrote: A) Did you read the referenced article? Do we even need ML any longer?
2) What features in ML do you require, that a camera that is as new as a T7i doesn't provide?
C) What, precisely, is your question? I can't tell what you're asking about.

Sorry I guess I didnt add some details in the OP, assumed this was a widely known issue since the start of the Rebel series that they do not allow video recording more than 4GB or 30 minutes at one time, so ML had a hack that allowed the video to stop and restart at that mark so in effect, it would record as long as your card allowed.

So bottom line, short of getting another camera, how do you break this limit is my question, and again at the start, it seemed to do it on its own, really weird, but no longer.

5 years 11 months ago #583163 by effron
No idea why it did and now it doesn't. Its possible ML decided there wasn't enough interest for the investment in that camera?
I would pop your question in an email and shoot it off to Canon, you could get a reply.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #583188 by garyrhook
That time limit is a licensing issue, as I understand it. Most vendors are limited to 20 or 30 minutes per file. My Nikon D750 is 10 minutes due to the settings, IIRC.

Some vendors, apparently, will pay more, however: my Panasonic G7 will record ad infinitum in HD mode (AVCHD) and I love it for that. But 4K not so much: 30 minutes at a time. Annoying, but for what little video I do, I make it work.

So, yeah, a hack. ML appears to be an community project? You can always look into fixing it yourself. Or get a different camera that doesn't suffer from that limit.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024