Lens Hood Question for Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

5 years 11 months ago #582686 by tony-n-okc
Does anyone know if the EW-73B lens hood for the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM fits the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens?  Canon seems to have "invented" a new lens hood b]EW[/b]-[b]73D[/b for its IS USM lens.  Both lenses take the same size filter (67mm) but apparently not the same lens hood.  I also noticed Canon wants $34.95 for the 73D and the 73B is selling for $29.95 on B & H website.  Does Canon really need to charge another $5 for a lens hood that appears to be the same shape/size in the photos I've seen of it?

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582740 by Matt Benton
Canon or any manufacture is always going to sell higher.  I'd bet the hoods will work.  I know they both take the 67mm filter.  I've never had both in hands to see if hoods would be the same.  I'd bet yes. 

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582794 by effron
An extra five bucks would be nothing to a Nikon user, usually much more for a branded accessory, and I believe Matt is correct.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #583190 by garyrhook
A hood for my 200-500 is over $65. I'm not feeling sympathetic. :lol:

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #583622 by tony-n-okc
I understand your position, but mine was actually a rant against Canon.  Seems the lens hoods should have been interchangeable based on identical filter sizes of the 2 lenses and why should it cost extra money at all for a new lens hood that appears to be the same size as the earlier one.  Has the cost of plastic gone up in the world?

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #584037 by effron
Its economics, and the filter size means nothing...Focal length and field of view dictate hood shape and size. The price of everything has gone up in the world, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #584046 by tony-n-okc
C'est la vie.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585317 by effron
Did you sort this out?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585754 by tony-n-okc
No. Just venting frustration toward corporate greed in general. I suspect I'll plop down the extra money if I have to.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586014 by effron
Good choice, and without that corporate "greed" we wouldn't have our toys. The greedy state wouldn't know how to make photo "stuff"....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024