Upgrading from 5D MK1 -> EOS R??

4 years 11 months ago #640526 by wickerman123
Hi,

For years I've been using a hand-me-down 5D MK1 that my dad bought when it first released.

The camera is still going strong but I'm really starting to get frustrated with it's dated features - my phone manages to focus faster and produce cleaner images. The poor ISO performance particularly frustrates me - taking pictures while on the move or of something moving like a dog is difficult with really slow AF and shooting at anything above ISO 200 start to introduce some horrible noise if the shutter speed is quick.

I've got 3 EF Lenses (used to have more but 2 mysteriously went missing in a removals van, £2k down the drain for my dad.)

I have about £3k saved up so I was looking at the EOS R and while I understand it's an astronomical leap from an OG 5D, all the hate being flung towards that camera has me concerned that I might get buyers regret a few months down the line when Canon inevitably releases another iteration. While I know 3 lenses isn't a lot, and to some switching to Sony would be recommended, I don't have a lot of money to start buying more lenses so I'd rather just stick with what I have for now. (I've been saving up for a while now)

I know the EOS RP is cheaper but the horrible distortion in the video mode looks completely unusable. 

4 years 11 months ago #641347 by Robert Chen
The EOS RP isn't getting good ratings.  I'd stick with the EOS R, you'll spend more $$, however it's a better camera.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickerman123
4 years 11 months ago #641863 by Roy Wilson
You're better off going with a Sony or Nikon Z if you want a mirrorless.  Or upgrade to 5D Mark IV.  The R isn't good reviews as Canon took too many short cuts on it.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #641943 by garyrhook
You have a modest budget. Why are you considering bleeding edge products? Unless you like being an early adopter, and can assume the associated risk, you are far better off sticking with a DSLR at this time.

Look at a more modern full frame body, even used. It will be lightyears ahead of the mk I (which was a horrible camera, IMHO...) A $700 APC-S Nikon body will run circles around that.

There are lots of options available to you. The EOS R shouldn't be among them.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642949 by Ontherocks

garyrhook wrote: You have a modest budget. Why are you considering bleeding edge products? Unless you like being an early adopter, and can assume the associated risk, you are far better off sticking with a DSLR at this time.

Look at a more modern full frame body, even used. It will be lightyears ahead of the mk I (which was a horrible camera, IMHO...) A $700 APC-S Nikon body will run circles around that.

+1 very good advice.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #643226 by garyrhook

Ontherocks wrote:

garyrhook wrote: You have a modest budget. Why are you considering bleeding edge products? Unless you like being an early adopter, and can assume the associated risk, you are far better off sticking with a DSLR at this time.

+1 very good advice.  

I forgot to add "in my not so humble opinion." My bad.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #643788 by Coolbanana
The EOS R is an excellent camera- anyone who says different is too focussed upon irrelevant specification details that give no more than a psychological advantage to those whose photography skills need the 'boost' of at least thinking they have the 'best' tool or who are being petty over the omission of a specific feature most do not need. 

I'm no Pro but I am friends with a few who are producing fantastic images from the EOS R; wildlife, landscapes and portraits. With the new RF35 it is a wonderful street and travel camera. 

Wedding photographers who feel they must have dual card slots have a good reason to wait for that feature, as do Sports and Action photographers who need faster FPS. Everyone else will be just fine. 

It is comical when people compare one camera to another and cite a 'winner' but cannot ever get to the level of photography either camera is truly capable of. Camera's have reached a point whereby they all are generally great in the hands of a competent photographer. 

When choosing a brand, look beyond just the body to the lenses - the whole system. Also the ergonomics, how it feels in the hand, the feature-set, does it match your preferred work-flow. These are far more important than the whinges of a couple of Pro's because their specific line was not catered for with this initial release or pixel-peepers who spend more time salivating over gear and its ultimate specifications than actually taking images and enjoying them. 

Personally, having tried the EOS R, I bought one. I then sold my 5DIV and 7DII, they did not produce 'better' pictures and were redundant because I preferred the R in terms of ergonomics, handling, work-flow and size. 

4 years 10 months ago #643908 by wickerman123
I ended up going for the EOS R. I've been using that 5D for 12 years so I was looking for something that would last another 12 at least - I wasn't going to go for Nikon with an APC-S, I'd rather have stuck with the 5D!

EOS R + 24-105 was a bitter pill to swallow but I as a I said, I'm in it for the long run. So far it has reinvigorated my love of photography, it's such a joy to shoot with and doesn't at all frustrate me like the ageing 5D did.

Definitely got my eyes on that RF 35mm, would have gone for it had I not had a 50mm that just about does the job.

4 years 9 months ago #647768 by Tim Dordeck
So it's been a month, how do you like the EOS R? 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648941 by wickerman123
I absolutely love it! The new button layout is taking some getting used to and I'm really rusty after falling out of love with photography for so long but the EOS R has really rekindled that.

I've heard people mock the EOS R for having shooting slowly but it feels like a minigun compared the OG 5D I'd been using. It makes shooting moving subjects so much easier (mostly just swans at the moment)

I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the image quality but holy cr*p does it make a difference. Even with my cheapo telephoto lens, the quality of the 30mp RAWs is leagues ahead of what I could get with my old 5D.

Photography will always just be a hobby but I'm so glad I made the upgrade, despite how much it cost me.

Everything after the drone pano's on my Flickr has been shot with the EOS R: www.flickr.com/photos/wickerman123/

4 years 8 months ago #649864 by Shadowfixer1
Congratulations on your new gear. I have a couple of friends that bought the R as well and they love it. Glad you didn't take advice from people who had no experience with the camera. These spec wars are a little ridiculous. The difference in image quality between the brands has less to do with a successful image than the light and composition behind the image. If you can make a good image with your old camera, then this one will be even better. 
4 years 8 months ago #649966 by garyrhook

Coolbanana wrote: Personally, having tried the EOS R, I bought one. I then sold my 5DIV and 7DII, they did not produce 'better' pictures and were redundant because I preferred the R in terms of ergonomics, handling, work-flow and size. 

So you made a decision based on everything but image quality? Although I'm unclear on how a mirrorless system could impact your workflow. Maybe I don't understand this point.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024