Used Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM from MPB?

5 months 1 week ago #644074 by Liem Stailey
I'm dumping all my questions on you all this morning.  Right now, all I have is one lens, a 50mm.  2 friends told me I need to get a zoom lens.  I went to Google and researched what are "zoom lenses for canon DSLR" and found a 24-70mm lens mentioned a few times.  I can't afford new right now, so did another Google search for a used Canon 24-70mm lens for sale.  And this one showed up:  https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-24-70mm-f-2-8-l-usm/sku-839505/

Is this a good deal and good lens to buy?  

Thank you

Liem

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #644214 by Paulina K
Hi Liem, that seems like a decent deal.  The 24-70mm if you ask around enough, you'll see is a very popular lens.  MPB is a good company for used.  Fast shipping and their used gear is accurately rated.  You can always compare the price to what private people are selling  on Craigslist and Ebay, KEH is a competitor to MPB and might be a good place to compare pricing too.  

Good luck and welcome here! 

5 months 1 week ago #644248 by garyrhook
Each lens has a character, and one or more purposes. A 24-70 is very popular, and very useful, mid-range zoom. It's considered a required lens by many.

That said, it may not be an appropriate lens for you. You don't say what you intend to shoot, or how you'll use the lens. And I'm not sure why you're told you need a zoom lens. That's not necessarily true.

All that said, you might consider the 24-105 f/4 lens. It would have a bit more reach, although not as fast as the other, and can be had for a bit less (still used).

I encourage you to be intentional about your purchases. Know what you want to do, and why something will help you reach that goal. Ignore any advice to the contrary.

Photo Comments

5 months 1 day ago #644967 by Liem Stailey
Boy, then I feel like a space head.  I don't have a clear intention.  I just want to be able to get a little bit more zoom and have a decent lens that will give me room to grow and learn photography.  If I can save some money in the process that would be great.  I'm not exactly sitting in a pile of green here.  

Thank you both.  

I'll check out that 24-105mm now.  Now I just noticed that that lens has a f/4 vs the f/2.8 on the other lens.  One of the people I was talking too had mentioned something about you should always get lenses with the smaller number for f-stop.  Is f/4 still considered good?  

Photo Comments

5 months 23 hours ago #645074 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: I'll check out that 24-105mm now.  Now I just noticed that that lens has a f/4 vs the f/2.8 on the other lens.  One of the people I was talking too had mentioned something about you should always get lenses with the smaller number for f-stop.  Is f/4 still considered good?  

I have the Nikon corollary, a 24-120 f/4 lens, and it is quite handy. Understanding the geometry of your shot will allow you to accomplish whatever you need to accomplish. Make a decision and get to work. That's the only way you'll learn. And if you buy & sell on the used market, you'll save money.

But I don't really think you can go wrong with the 24-105 as a good quality walk-around lens. Many people use it.

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #646832 by Scott Klubeck
Dude, 24-70mm is a must have lens, one that you will likely use the most.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by American Airlines Airports in the United States are getting new CT scanners that are supposed to make the process of running through TSA really...

Oct 22, 2019

Camera gear insurance is a must-have if you're a professional photographer. But what do all the terms mean? What kinds of policies are available? Who and what can be covered? Find out in this photography insurance primer!

Oct 22, 2019

Photo by 🇸🇮 Janko Ferlič - @specialdaddy on Unsplash In an era where Nest security cameras are constantly being barraged by...

Oct 19, 2019

With these photography tips, you'll be able to advance your abilities beyond beginner level and start to develop a workflow that results in better photos.

Oct 17, 2019

With these essential street photography tips, you'll learn some essential guidelines for making your street photography outings a success.

Oct 17, 2019

Photo by Diana Măceşanu on Unsplash Steve Fines is used to using his drone to capture gorgeous aerial photos. But, when a...

Oct 17, 2019

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Shooting your very first wedding? Minimize the stress and maximize your preparedness with these essential wedding photography tips for amateurs.

Oct 16, 2019