Used Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM from MPB?

4 years 11 months ago #644074 by Liem Stailey
I'm dumping all my questions on you all this morning.  Right now, all I have is one lens, a 50mm.  2 friends told me I need to get a zoom lens.  I went to Google and researched what are "zoom lenses for canon DSLR" and found a 24-70mm lens mentioned a few times.  I can't afford new right now, so did another Google search for a used Canon 24-70mm lens for sale.  And this one showed up:  https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-24-70mm-f-2-8-l-usm/sku-839505/

Is this a good deal and good lens to buy?  

Thank you

Liem

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644214 by Paulina K
Hi Liem, that seems like a decent deal.  The 24-70mm if you ask around enough, you'll see is a very popular lens.  MPB is a good company for used.  Fast shipping and their used gear is accurately rated.  You can always compare the price to what private people are selling  on Craigslist and Ebay, KEH is a competitor to MPB and might be a good place to compare pricing too.  

Good luck and welcome here! 

4 years 11 months ago #644248 by garyrhook
Each lens has a character, and one or more purposes. A 24-70 is very popular, and very useful, mid-range zoom. It's considered a required lens by many.

That said, it may not be an appropriate lens for you. You don't say what you intend to shoot, or how you'll use the lens. And I'm not sure why you're told you need a zoom lens. That's not necessarily true.

All that said, you might consider the 24-105 f/4 lens. It would have a bit more reach, although not as fast as the other, and can be had for a bit less (still used).

I encourage you to be intentional about your purchases. Know what you want to do, and why something will help you reach that goal. Ignore any advice to the contrary.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644967 by Liem Stailey
Boy, then I feel like a space head.  I don't have a clear intention.  I just want to be able to get a little bit more zoom and have a decent lens that will give me room to grow and learn photography.  If I can save some money in the process that would be great.  I'm not exactly sitting in a pile of green here.  

Thank you both.  

I'll check out that 24-105mm now.  Now I just noticed that that lens has a f/4 vs the f/2.8 on the other lens.  One of the people I was talking too had mentioned something about you should always get lenses with the smaller number for f-stop.  Is f/4 still considered good?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #645074 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: I'll check out that 24-105mm now.  Now I just noticed that that lens has a f/4 vs the f/2.8 on the other lens.  One of the people I was talking too had mentioned something about you should always get lenses with the smaller number for f-stop.  Is f/4 still considered good?  

I have the Nikon corollary, a 24-120 f/4 lens, and it is quite handy. Understanding the geometry of your shot will allow you to accomplish whatever you need to accomplish. Make a decision and get to work. That's the only way you'll learn. And if you buy & sell on the used market, you'll save money.

But I don't really think you can go wrong with the 24-105 as a good quality walk-around lens. Many people use it.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646832 by Scott Klubeck
Dude, 24-70mm is a must have lens, one that you will likely use the most.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024