Used Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM from MPB?

3 months 2 days ago #644074 by Liem Stailey
I'm dumping all my questions on you all this morning.  Right now, all I have is one lens, a 50mm.  2 friends told me I need to get a zoom lens.  I went to Google and researched what are "zoom lenses for canon DSLR" and found a 24-70mm lens mentioned a few times.  I can't afford new right now, so did another Google search for a used Canon 24-70mm lens for sale.  And this one showed up:  https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-24-70mm-f-2-8-l-usm/sku-839505/

Is this a good deal and good lens to buy?  

Thank you

Liem

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 day ago #644214 by Paulina K
Hi Liem, that seems like a decent deal.  The 24-70mm if you ask around enough, you'll see is a very popular lens.  MPB is a good company for used.  Fast shipping and their used gear is accurately rated.  You can always compare the price to what private people are selling  on Craigslist and Ebay, KEH is a competitor to MPB and might be a good place to compare pricing too.  

Good luck and welcome here! 

3 months 1 day ago #644248 by garyrhook
Each lens has a character, and one or more purposes. A 24-70 is very popular, and very useful, mid-range zoom. It's considered a required lens by many.

That said, it may not be an appropriate lens for you. You don't say what you intend to shoot, or how you'll use the lens. And I'm not sure why you're told you need a zoom lens. That's not necessarily true.

All that said, you might consider the 24-105 f/4 lens. It would have a bit more reach, although not as fast as the other, and can be had for a bit less (still used).

I encourage you to be intentional about your purchases. Know what you want to do, and why something will help you reach that goal. Ignore any advice to the contrary.

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #644967 by Liem Stailey
Boy, then I feel like a space head.  I don't have a clear intention.  I just want to be able to get a little bit more zoom and have a decent lens that will give me room to grow and learn photography.  If I can save some money in the process that would be great.  I'm not exactly sitting in a pile of green here.  

Thank you both.  

I'll check out that 24-105mm now.  Now I just noticed that that lens has a f/4 vs the f/2.8 on the other lens.  One of the people I was talking too had mentioned something about you should always get lenses with the smaller number for f-stop.  Is f/4 still considered good?  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #645074 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: I'll check out that 24-105mm now.  Now I just noticed that that lens has a f/4 vs the f/2.8 on the other lens.  One of the people I was talking too had mentioned something about you should always get lenses with the smaller number for f-stop.  Is f/4 still considered good?  

I have the Nikon corollary, a 24-120 f/4 lens, and it is quite handy. Understanding the geometry of your shot will allow you to accomplish whatever you need to accomplish. Make a decision and get to work. That's the only way you'll learn. And if you buy & sell on the used market, you'll save money.

But I don't really think you can go wrong with the 24-105 as a good quality walk-around lens. Many people use it.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #646832 by Scott Klubeck
Dude, 24-70mm is a must have lens, one that you will likely use the most.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

The upcoming Sony RX100 VII is hotly anticipated because of the success of its predecessors. The question is, it live up to the hype? Find out in this Sony RX100 VII review.

Aug 01, 2019

It's been over a decade since the Canon 5D Mark II was released, and yet it's still a fantastic camera. Learn about the Canon 5D Mark II features, specs, price and more in this review.

Jul 24, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The holidays might be a few months away, but it's never to late to start getting ideas for the photographer on your list. These gifts for photographers under $50 will do the trick!

Aug 15, 2019

In this camera tripod buyers guide, learn which tripods are the best of the bunch at various price points from under $100 to over $1,000.

Aug 15, 2019

Not sure how to grow your photography business? With these simple photography business tips, learn how you can step up your marketing game.

Aug 14, 2019

Whether you're taking still photos or videos, high-quality light is a must. This list of the best photography lighting equipment represents some of the best lights in the business.

Aug 14, 2019

Screenshot from News 4 Tucson YouTube video Jamie Bisceglia is a hero in my book. The woman was recently taken to a hospital after being bitten by an...

Aug 13, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Sony a6500 replacement is on the way! Find out what the rumored specs are and when you might be able to find one on a store shelf near you.

Aug 13, 2019

Acrylic prints offer a modern take on displaying your photos, but they aren't all made alike. With these acrylic printing tips, learn what to look for so you get the highest-quality result.

Aug 13, 2019