Using optional zoom in video mode Canon EOS 80D??

4 years 10 months ago #644777 by Bodgerbaz
Hi, this will probably come as a dumb question but someone has to ask it.

I currently have a Canon EOS 50D with a few lenses and a movie camera with lots of kit. It’s an awful lot of kit to lug around and I’m tempted to upgrade to a Canon EOS 80D and get rid of the movie camera.

My dumb question is, when taking a movie can I still use my zoom lenses in the normal way so I get optical zoom instead of digital zoom. For instance, can I start my movie then pull the zoom back on my chosen lens like I would with a dedicated movie camera. All the references I’ve seen to taking movies with a DSLR talk about digital zoom which I’m not happy with.I’ll probably have lots of other things to ask so please be patient.

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #644835 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Baz

Many professional video makers use Canon dSLRs with all sorts of lenses depending upon the subject being filmed. So your answer is 'yes - the full optical zoom range of the lens is available'

Sometimes - not always - sometimes there is an alteration with the video form factor that alters the apparent focal length of the lens in use, but you do have for full zoom range at your fingertips

Below is a grab shot of some movie makers shooting Aussie animals in a wildlife park

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodgerbaz
4 years 10 months ago #644846 by Bodgerbaz
Many, many thanks for your answer. It was driving me mad not being able to get an answer to this relatively simple question, but you have now answered me. Thank you so much.

You have a good day and be well.

4 years 10 months ago #645003 by garyrhook
DSLR, mirrorless, whatever, you can change zoom by twisting the lens at any time.

There's no wide/narrow rocker switch on a DSLR, by the way. You zoom manually.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645017 by Bodgerbaz
Yes thanks for confirming the zoom works. Yes, I'm well aware there is no rocker switch on a DSLR!!
Thank you for your reply.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024