Stacking lenses for Macro (Canon)

4 years 6 months ago #661251 by Katie T
Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody could help - I'm trying to find a way to attach my Canon 100mm 2.8 USM lens to my Canon 18-55mm (the one that came with the camera) to bolster my Macro set-up. 

I'm working on a Canon EOS 600D with the 100mm 2.8l on its own, with a Hahnel Modus 360RT Flashgun. I'm particularly interested in photographing the Iris, and believe stacking lenses could help with my lack of sharpness and depth - these are my two sticking points at present. 

I'm reading that maybe stacking lenses could increase my magnification and improve my sharpness - and I'm wondering if it is possible to attach my (reversed) 18-55mm lens to my 100mm? And if it is possible, how do I do it? Coupling rings? Step Up rings? Reverse rings? 

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Or, if I'm barking up the wrong tree and there is another/better way to improve my set-up, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

I'm new to the world of Photography, so please, feel free to state the obvious!

Thank you in advance, 

Katie

4 years 6 months ago #661395 by effron
Lots of words.....This is dated but still pertinent.
garyluhm.net/reverse-stacked-lens-macro/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawnGillDesigns
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #661398 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Katie

Goodness me - this brings back memories from the late 1960s when some camera club mates and I had more time on our hands than we should have had. It was something we used a number of times before we became tired of the mucking around that went with it

Yes it certainly is possible to use male-to-male reversing rings to join two lenses via their filter threads, however the outer lens [& possibly both lenses] need to have manually operable aperture rings so that you can determine the best exposure - probably manually and with lots of experimentation

Q- when you say that "you are particularly interesting in the iris" - do you mean the second lens's apertures during stopping down? If so, you might be better off with some extension tubes on the 100mm lens and shoot into a manual aperture / film camera vintage lens whose aperture has been stopped down a bit

Maybe something like this ...

Attachment not found

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mods- I do not understand what is going on here - I upload an attachment - get thrown off the system and when I return I see that I do not have permission to access this page ???

4 years 6 months ago #661411 by effron

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Katie

Q- when you say that "you are particularly interesting in the iris" - do you mean the second lens's apertures during stopping down?

I'm guessing the iris in an eye. I agree with the tubes. I have tried lens reversal/stacking, and bellows and find them very clumsy, especially in the field. No replacement for a quality macro lens and extension tubes.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661512 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day effron

Thanks for the explanation ... and I agree with a macro lens plus a tube as a solution
For my money, I would go for the 50-60mm lens plus a 30mm tube for starters, possibly doubling the tubes if needed

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024