HELP! Blurry Photos - 5D Mark IV

4 years 5 months ago #662463 by ntlove14
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to begin troubleshooting. I have googled and searched endlessly with little to no resolve. 

PROBLEM: Many of my photos have my subjects out of focus. More times than not, a random part of my subject (dress, belt, shoe, tree) is tack sharp and my subjects face is blurry. 

My CURRENT settings: Shutter 1/200 or higher, aperture typically 2.0-2.8 for my 50mm or 2.8-3.2 for my 24-70mm. ISO depends but try to keep under 500 if in good lighting. I shoot in Manual mode, single point AF, back button focus, AI-Servo, high speed continuous drive.

My subjects are rarely standing still. I typically have them walking and talking and laughing, etc. And I am stumped how this camera can be so unpredictable. 

I am not sure if it is simply ME and my TECHNIQUE or if is the SETTINGS or MECHANICAL. I need some guidance. Hope I covered all the basics but please let me know if I missed something. 

*When the photos are sharp they are TACK SHARP and when they are bad...they are just so bad!*
yr 
Photo

Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago #662465 by Nikon Shooter
If you get the sharpness you want but only sporadically,
my guess is focus acquisition and confirmation.

The only way to work in continuous is using the BBF setup
and to set the "no trigger" when focus is not confirmed.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662466 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

I speak Nikon so you'll have to get the right translation.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ntlove14
4 years 5 months ago #662479 by effron
BBF without focus lock will yield a lot of oof shots, but its my favorite camera feature. At those apertures shooting moving subjects can be tough....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662480 by effron
Edit...stop down a little and get the shutter speed a little faster?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ntlove14
4 years 5 months ago #662484 by shelland
Three things come to mind for me. 

1. Can you check in camera where it shows the focus points on the pics? Are you focusing on the dress or the face? If the dress, being a solid color it might not be able to get a good point to focus on. Not sure what your body is, but when I view an image in camera I can see the focus point. 
2. Maybe try a smaller aperture? If you are fairly close to the subject, it doesn't take much forward or backward distance from the focal plane to become out of focus at f/2.x. 
3. Sounds dumb, but worth confirming. Are you leaving your thumb on the BBF button the whole time? You aren't releasing that button as you shoot the pic, are you? 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

4 years 5 months ago #662485 by ntlove14
1. I know my aim isn't that off haha. I did consider the fact that maybe I am off on my focus point...but I definitely focus on the eyes/face of my subjects. (however, in my blurry picture you can see it is clearly on the dress). I would be curious to see if I can find this setting on my Canon 5D Mark IV.
2. I will give this a shot...I wasn't fairly close to my subjects, these photos are zoomed in screen grabs, but I was using a 24-70mm lens.
3. I was indeed holding the BBF button :)

4 years 5 months ago #662503 by icepics
Aperture settings that are too large aren't giving you enough depth of field. Don't shoot so open, you need to get the entire person in focus, especially if the person is moving. Try smaller apertures and adjust shutter speed/ISO accordingly.

Keep the shutter speed fast enough to freeze movement. If it's bright enough outdoors it shouldn't be a problem to shoot at a midrange aperture and faster shutter speed.

It's not the camera, you need to learn how to set it for various situations. Practice with just you and your camera before you start trying to get people/subjects into your pictures (especially ones that you're directing to move).

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662607 by garyrhook
Let me make sure I understand: you're shooting moving people at a shallow depth of field at only 1/200s?

You can't guarantee any focus under those conditions. Movement with no blur means 1/400s or faster, and I shoot ballet at f/4 because of focus (and much worse lighting conditions).

Also: that camera will give you usable images at IS0 4000. You need to get over any aversion to higher ISO values. Heck, with work in post you can go to ISO 10K with that quality of light.

In short: your settings need to change based on the situation: moving vs. still, portrait vs. group, etc. One group of setting won't do everything for you.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663436 by effron
Any help there, OP?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715395 by Diannanz
Hi I was wondering if you had any luck problem solving this. I have the same problem with my mark 4 being very unreliable with focusing and doing that same blurry thing as in your photo when low light and higher ISO. I would love to know if you fixed?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024