Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 RF Front focus problems?

2 months 1 week ago #669240 by Macon B
Some of the reviews coming in on this lens are looking all that good.  People saying this lens has front focus issues.

Anyone pick this thing up yet and can speak first hand about it?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 6 days ago #669698 by Paul Velasco
Yeah, I've been reading about this.  I'm sure they are going to have a firmware update coming out soon to address this problem.  

2 months 6 days ago - 2 months 6 days ago #669722 by Nikon Shooter
A lens CAN'T be front focus.

There are three components in all cases: the camera, the
lens and the AF system.

Lenses and bodies are not to blame but the AF system is.
One will needs to fine tune the AF system to the other com-
ponents of any (and all) combos — DSLR that is.

I own 16 lenses and 4 DSLR bodies and that means I had to
perform 64 fine tunings to get the results I want. That is nor-
mal in any case where a DSLR is part of it.

Mirrorless? Still, a lens CAN'T be front focus (or back for that
matter). See what options may be offered by the maker.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #669733 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: A lens CAN'T be front focus.

Well, you'd be wrong about that.

https://petapixel.com/2019/12/13/canon-confirms-rf-70-200mm-f-2-8-lens-focus-issue-firmware-fix-coming-asap/

A pervasive problem with specific parameters (close-up shots at long focal lengths in this new lens) points to a flaw in the device itself. Now confirmed.

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #669748 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: Well, you'd be wrong about that.

Well, you'd be wrong about that… back to you.

A lens will focus or not. If a firmware update is necessary,
then it is not the lens but the AF within.

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #669767 by effron
You're both correct, a lens can "front focus", but firmware can't fix the lens itself methinks. Canon will be busy with this issue....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #669797 by Nikon Shooter
No software will correct a misplacement of lenses in any given barrel.
I such case, only an very consequent recall by the manufacturer may
bring a solution to that.

In the case a solution may be proposed through a simple software up-
date, confirms the maker's lens construction is not considered faulty.

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #669798 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Well, you'd be wrong about that… back to you.

A lens will focus or not. If a firmware update is necessary,
then it is not the lens but the AF within.

Perhaps you could stop being pedantic. The lens, as a device, encompasses everything within it, both software and hardware. The AF system is part of that, and if we are considering the lens behavior under automatic control then firmware is integral to that. This issue isn't about the optics only, and since Canon has admitted to a problem, it's not about micro-adjustments. Which won't help focusing problems in only part of the focal range, which is fundamental to this issue.

Effron, you'd be surprised what can be fixed in software. I see it on a regular basis.

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #669892 by effron

garyrhook wrote: Effron, you'd be surprised what can be fixed in software. I see it on a regular basis.

I ran this thread by my son last night who fixes things via software for a living. I have been corrected.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670793 by Pettigrew
Yep, yep and yep.

Long story short, Canon will be busy in the upcoming weeks to get that updated.  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670834 by effron

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020