Canon EOS RP - have you used?

4 years 2 months ago #673057 by amatula
Hi!

I was in the camera store yesterday and the salesperson showed me the EOS RP. I loved the handing! It felt great in my hands (with the 35 mm lens) and I was amazed at how steady I held it.

I am upgrading from the Canon SL1 significantly for better low light performance/photo detail. I am primarily a landscape photographer (~ 70%) and travel photographer.

I already have a 24 mm F/2.8 EF IS lens which I love and can use for now.

I am leaning towards this camera as full-frame DSLRs are huge in my hands, and since most of my photography is done while hiking and traveling. I know it is not weather sealed (bummer) but I can accept that trade-off (vs carrying a heavy full frame with weather-sealing). But I am also considering higher end APS-C cameras with weather-sealing (Sony A6500, Nikon 5600 which the salesperson also showed me, ...) 

If you have used the RP, I'd love to hear your thoughts on landscape (I am not interested in video) and anything you wish to share.

Thank you and all the best,
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673491 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula
4 years 2 months ago #673738 by amatula
Thank you!

It seems I read often that Canon sensors fall behind other models with dynamic range, so no surprise there.

Do you feel it is an issue (per the article)? I don't (yet!) understand dynamic range response) but think I get the gist of it that they are saying the RP won't capture as much detail in the shadows as the other cameras listed. I will ask the store clerk to take some shots outside the store to see how the detail is in the shadows.

"Although the RP performs well overall, its weakest result is in its dynamic range response, at just under 12 EV at base ISO; the other full-frame mirrorless models comfortably surpass it. In some cases, the best sensors are as much as +2 EV or more ahead at base ISO. While the results for dynamic range holds back the overall performance, the RP’s response is very clearly different from all the rest. Although we cannot speculate as to why that is, it is particularly noticeable over the range of ISO 100-1600, where the dynamic range falls by around 1EV. Even so, at ISO 1600 and above, it’s still below the rest."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673817 by effron
The DR issue is somewhat moot for those that aim for proper exposure. My camera has a fourteen stop DR and there are times I wish for more, but I've learned to live with what I have.....There are easy work arounds, no?
The RP looks to be a great camera.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673919 by amatula
So true on workarounds!
Thank you so much!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673921 by Shadowfixer1
I have friends that shoot Canon and most switched to the R not the RP. One did go for the RP and they all love their cameras. I don't think there are many bad cameras made these days. If it feels good in the hand and it operates like you want, then the image quality will be just fine. I shoot with m4/3 and the results are pretty darn good if I find a good subject. I have never had anyone look at a print of mine and say darn, that would have been good if only it wee made with a full frame camera. The point is, it's more about the nut holding the camera than it is the camera these days.
4 years 2 months ago #673931 by Finn
A friend bought the RP, and used it for 4 days and ended up sending it back and getting the R.  The savings on price didn't excite him enough to keep it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024