Canon wide angle options- Which would you pick?

4 years 2 months ago #674772 by Benalpha30
   First I'll share the somewhat interesting needs I hope to fill with just one lens. I am a wildlife and landscape painter, and my current photography setup is a 7D MarkII and the Canon 100-400 L II- obviously this is great for shooting animals, but the next need I have is a good landscape lens to take reference shots for paintings. I don't need ultra wide angle necessarily, just a good performer overall.
   The second need I have is a lens to photograph my paintings. I create fine art prints from these photos, so this is where I need a lens that will be sharp from edge to edge, and have minimal distortion and vignetting. I can fix some issues during editing, but the better the lens' performance the more time it will save me. 
   I am hoping to find a lens that can fill both of these needs. I definitely appreciate weather sealing, but that isn't a deal breaker. I also occasionally shoot video or low light, so IS would also be useful but not a deal breaker. I've researched and come up with the following. Which would you pick?
Are there others I haven't listed that you would recommend more?

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM- looks to have pretty good optics, but some say it's overpriced
Canon EF-s 24mm f/2.8 STM- inexpensive and made for APS-C. Optics okay but lacks some features
Canon 17-40mm f/4 L- Good price for L lens- Uses same filter size as my other. I've read some 
                                      mediocre reviews on sharpness which is what I need for art photography
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM- Not an L lens but supposedly very sharp and good                                                                                     performance for the money
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS- Probably more than I want to spend on this lens, even used, but I read                                                     it's a great lens and would probably fill both needs well
Thank you for your help!

4 years 2 months ago #674792 by effron
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS-  or
Canon 17-40mm f/4 L

Your needs could be different.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Benalpha30
4 years 2 months ago #674803 by Benalpha30
Thank you for the suggestion Effron

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #674873 by Brachenland
Just so others realize that the 7D MarkII is a crop sensor camera. Knowing this the lens selection my need to be altered because of the crop sensor. At the on set I would have said either the 24mm USM or the 24mm STM but calculating in the crop sensor, the numbers would be incorrect. 

Here's the link I use to calculate these numbers:

mmcalc.com

Either 24mm lens would net 38.88mm at f/4.5 This end total is not ideal for the desired shot. Thou I Like the 24mm because of the crop sensor adjustments, I feel your best lens or lenses would the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM which would actually net you 16mm - 29mm f/5.6

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674892 by garyrhook

BrokenCanon wrote: Here's the link I use to calculate these numbers:

mmcalc.com

Either 24mm lens would net 38.88mm at f/4.5 This end total is not ideal for the desired shot. Thou I Like the 24mm because of the crop sensor adjustments, I feel your best lens or lenses would the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM which would actually net you 16mm - 29mm f/5.6

No, no, no. Absolutely nothing can affect the focal length of a lens, period. Can't happen, not possible. And certainly the aperture is what it is because it's a geometry thing due to the size of the lens, which, again, cannot be changed by anything. mmcalc is flat out wrong on that.

What does change is the view angle.  Yes, you get a smaller area of the rendered image, but everything else is the same.  Here's a diagram (which I've posted before because this issue continues to confuse):

And ultimately, that whole 35mm reference thing was for film shooters. Must of us never have and never will. People really need to stop that. It's irrelevant to most of us.

The only question is, what focal length is suitable for the task at hand? Your suggestion of the 10-18 is a good one for landscapes, assuming the lens is rectilinear.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #674894 by Benalpha30
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I am still researching, but for the moment I'm leaning towards the 17-40mm f4. Price is a consideration, but the #1 need is photographing the artwork, and secondary would be shooting landscapes and video. I've read the 17-40 can suffer at the edges when wide open, but I can stop down and avoid the very edges when shooting paintings. The rest of the time it would be a tough, pretty good general purpose/ landscape lens. Lack of IS is a bit of a bummer for video, but for now I wouldn't need it very often. 
I've also been looking at the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM that seems to check a lot of boxes. Does anyone have experience with this one?

4 years 2 months ago #675395 by Benalpha30
Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer your suggestions. As my #1 need will be shooting paintings, I am looking at the canon 35mm f2.8 IS macro, as I've heard good things about its performance in that role. While I have no plans to move on from my 7D mkII, I know everyone cautions against stockpiling lenses that will be obsolete if I go full frame. With that in mind, i'm at least considering the canon 35mm f2 IS USM as well. Does anyone have experience to compare these two? Do you think the f2 would do as good a job at copy work as the macro?

4 years 2 months ago #675413 by effron
I'd go with the macro, you aren't going to shoot the paintings wide open with either lens, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675422 by Benalpha30

effron wrote: I'd go with the macro, you aren't going to shoot the paintings wide open with either lens, no?

No, I shouldn't ever need to go wide open with the lighting that I use.

4 years 1 month ago #678362 by 7Wishes
The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a great lens, probably the best Canon EF-S lens  (build and IQ wise) and is the only lens I miss since going full frame. Owning the Canon 17-40mm now I would definitely pick the 17-55mm over that if I ever went back to an APS-C Canon body. Someone commented about full frame lenses on an APS-C body, while the focal length doesn't change there is a crop factor of 1.6 to take in to consideration which will alter the field of view e.g 17mm will give a field of view of 17x1.6 which equates to what you would see using a 27mm lens. 
The 35 mm field of view for the 17-55mm would be 27-88

4 years 1 week ago #681678 by amatula
I own the Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM and use it on a APS-C Canon (SL1 Rebel). I have been very happy with it. It is image stabilized and I appreciate that. However, I think for my purposes a wide angle zoom would be better; there are times I see an animal and I wish I had that extra range of, say, the 17-55 or 24-70.
Since I am usually hiking, I am not going to bring extra lens.
So I would say that is a consideration, at least for me and I am not a painter,
but would a zoom be helpful for capturing some detail for your paintings?

Can you rent? There are sites where you can rent for a week; some even have rent-to-own. I am considering that myself as I am considering an upgrade.

Enjoy!

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #703759 by DenverPhotographer
I wouldn't shoot a landscape with the ultrawide (8-10mm) if you have those other choices but that's just my opinion! I swear by the Canon 24mm 1.4 and the overwhelming majority of all my shots over a 10-year period were with my Canon 24. No experience with the 2.8 version but I'd still recommend it because of the general field of view and versatility. If you shoot and stitch panoramas the 24 (turning your camera vertical) gives an impressive perspective up and down and the edges of the shots stitch seamlessly because of the low distortion on the edges. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024