Focus issues with new Canon PowerShot G7x mk II compact

4 years 3 weeks ago #678338 by Lloyd Graham
I bought a Canon PowerShot G7x mk II before a 5-week trip to Egypt and have been struggling with autofocus issues since day one. The green focus boxes seem to avoid the centre of the field of view and usually cluster near one edge of the scene, resulting in photos where only half of the image is acceptably in focus. In desperation I have at times had to turn the camera upside-down to get the  other half of the scene in focus! The AF-Assist beam is set to ON but switching it off didn't help matters.

Now that I am back home, I tried a simple test of photographing an A4 sheet of text straight-on in moderate light conditions to see how the Canon performed relative to my iPhone 7 camera. The attached images show how the two devices compare. The iPhone took a clear photo on the first attempt and all of the text is in focus. The other two images are the best I could do with the Canon, one using Auto and the other using P-mode (One Shot, with the focus box in the centre of the field of view). Both of the Canon images are blurry away from the centre of shot and neither are as crisp as the iPhone image.

Any advice? Is this normal, or is this camera defective?

Thanks,

Lloyd.

Attachments:
4 years 3 weeks ago #678392 by effron
Swap it out if you have the time, or plan on using your iphone on vacation. Something ain't right.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lloyd Graham
4 years 3 weeks ago #678396 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Lloyd

It sounds as though the camera has defaulted to 'face recognition' mode rather than 'centre focus' mode. Find the button to alter your focus options and dial in centre-weighted / matrix focus mode and see if that does anything for you

If not, then follow effron's suggestion for getting the seller / shop to review the camera's performance and replace it if necessary

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 3 weeks ago #678401 by Lloyd Graham
Thanks Phil. The AF mode is on 1-point AF "Focus using the selected AF point" rather than Face Recognition.

4 years 2 weeks ago #678442 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Lloyd

Okay mate - some 'Sherlock Holmes' times ahead ...
I do not know the Canon - all I can show you is the Panasonic equivalent

Chase up the focus menu

Look for the centre-focus options
option-1

option-2

See how you go from there
Hope this helps

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lloyd Graham
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #678444 by Nikon Shooter
Hi Phil from down under,

So… this is what you look like on Sundays!! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #678557 by Ozzie_Traveller

Nikon Shooter wrote: Hi Phil from down under,
So… this is what you look like on Sundays!! :P

Hmmmm - the rest of the week I'm downsideup :silly:
Phil

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024