80D & M50 Wire for Picture Profile

4 years 4 weeks ago #680257 by consultjoseph
Hi everyone, needing a little help here...

I own the 80d for close to 3 years now and the M50 for a year now. I honestly could not remember why the wires/connectors are missing in the boxes. I tried to look for them through all my stuff but it's futile at this point after spending few hours on this search.

I'd like to get help on identifying what wires I need for each? I plan on connecting the camera for (1) camera updates and (2) installing CineStyle on them.

Thank you!

4 years 4 weeks ago #680263 by garyrhook
You can download the user manuals for both of those from the Canon site. They'll explain which connections are used for camera <-> PC communication.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680336 by consultjoseph
It seems they don't though. I downloaded both and they just said "use USB connector" as they didn't indicate what type.

I figured out the M50 is a standard micro USB though after through my wires. The 80D is a sort of 5pin connection that luckily my brother in law has after I asked him through Messenger (a moonthshoot but it worked).

Thanks.

4 years 3 weeks ago #680366 by garyrhook
Canon is run by idiots, apparently. "Digital terminal" my butt.

The 80D manual, page 26, lower right corner diagram, shows the standard USB symbol next to a port. That port appears to be a USB Mini B connector (which I checked by googling "usb port" and looking at the Wikipedia article that was second on the results list).

Which leads to you finding a USB A <-> USB Mini B cable and hooking it up.

The M50 manual, on page 55 of the PDF, has an indicator for the "digital terminal" (item 7) but no diagram. Again, idiots for leaving that out. And idiots for not putting pages numbers in their manual. Page 35 of the Help Guide states "micro B", repeated on page 43, and it also states "sold separately". You may not have ever gotten a cable specifically for that camera. Nonetheless, it's not possible (since I don't have an M50) to say which connector is used on that, aside from what the manuals state.

So I'll politely disagree that the manuals don't say what to use. But it doesn't seem impossible to figure it out with some work.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: consultjoseph
4 years 3 weeks ago #680416 by consultjoseph
Thanks for that in-depth reply.

I did check out their website in the firmware section and chose "What's In The Box" (for both 80D and M5) and can confirm that no cables were included in the boxes so you're right on that.

4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #680498 by garyrhook

consultjoseph wrote: Thanks for that in-depth reply.

I did check out their website in the firmware section and chose "What's In The Box" (for both 80D and M5) and can confirm that no cables were included in the boxes so you're right on that.

You're welcome. Hope it gets you going.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024