Canon 90D

2 years 6 days ago - 2 years 6 days ago #734469 by Esseff
Thinking of upgrading my 600D to a 90D. Opinions on the 90D? Spec-wise its a huge improvement my current camera but always keen to hear from other users.

Muchly appreciated...

2 years 5 days ago #734534 by r1ch
Well, it depends on what you shoot.
I would get a full frame.
the 5ds r is $1500 new.
There is a lot of stuff out there used that is FF

2 years 5 days ago #734538 by Esseff

r1ch wrote: Well, it depends on what you shoot.
I would get a full frame.
the 5ds r is $1500 new.
There is a lot of stuff out there used that is FF

I do mostly landscapes and buildings. The 90D has 33 megapixels, way more than the 18mp of my 600D. That was the main motivator behind choosing that one. Plus it takes the lenses I already have (all EF-S). If the 5DS uses those too and has high a high mp count (which I'm told is better for landscapes) then, sure, it's on the list. I'll have to check it out. Cheers.

I just see it's an older camera. Several years older than the 90D. More mp though. And both lines have been discontinued.

2 years 5 days ago #734541 by r1ch

Esseff wrote: The 90D has 33 megapixels, way more than the 18mp of my 600D. That was the main motivator behind choosing that one. Plus it takes the lenses I already have (all EF-S). If the 5DS uses those too and has high a high mp count (which I'm told is better for landscapes) then, sure, it's on the list. I'll have to check it out. Cheers.

I just see it's an older camera. Several years older than the 90D. More mp though. And both lines have been discontinued.

Not all megapixels are the same. FF are better, Medium format are better than FF, because they are bigger (there are caveats).
I just noticed that my image quality went up when I got a FF camera. Unfortunately the 5ds r at 50mp does not accept ef-s. You would need to go to an R5, and it would be in crop mode(17mp) when using ef-s lenses.

The biggest downside to the 90d is the ISO, actually any apsc camera suffers at high ISO. Most people don't shoot above 800-1600 iso.
But don't get me wrong. The 90d is a great camera, but after having a 7d with limited ISO range I found the FF to be better. I also did not buy FF lenses for my 7d because I knew I would later upgrade to FF. Canon was lame not to let APSc lenses mount to their EF bodies You will problably stick to APSC which is not a bad thing, but sometimes limiting but probably not for what you are going to use it for.

2 years 5 days ago #734549 by Esseff

r1ch wrote:

Esseff wrote: The 90D has 33 megapixels, way more than the 18mp of my 600D. That was the main motivator behind choosing that one. Plus it takes the lenses I already have (all EF-S). If the 5DS uses those too and has high a high mp count (which I'm told is better for landscapes) then, sure, it's on the list. I'll have to check it out. Cheers.

Not all megapixels are the same. FF are better, Medium format are better than FF, because they are bigger (there are caveats).
I just noticed that my image quality went up when I got a FF camera. Unfortunately the 5ds r at 50mp does not accept ef-s. You would need to go to an R5, and it would be in crop mode(17mp) when using ef-s lenses.

The biggest downside to the 90d is the ISO, actually any apsc camera suffers at high ISO. Most people don't shoot above 800-1600 iso.
But don't get me wrong. The 90d is a great camera, but after having a 7d with limited ISO range I found the FF to be better. I also did not buy FF lenses for my 7d because I knew I would later upgrade to FF. Canon was lame not to let APSc lenses mount to their EF bodies You will problably stick to APSC which is not a bad thing, but sometimes limiting but probably not for what you are going to use it for.

This is the thing... new camera body, not a problem. But new camera and new lenses, that's gonna get expensive.

2 years 5 days ago - 2 years 5 days ago #734552 by r1ch

Esseff wrote: This is the thing... new camera body, not a problem. But new camera and new lenses, that's gonna get expensive.

Get an R5, it will work with your lenses. :)
Sometimes finances drive what you get. In that case the 90d.

2 years 5 days ago - 2 years 5 days ago #734608 by r1ch
After reading the review. This camera sounds a lot better. Though traditional AF is pretty abysmal (but a lot better than your old camera) the live view (like a mirrorless) AF is quite good, Face and eye tracking work well. So this would be a good upgrade to your camera and be a good camera in general. www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-review/6
The resolution upgrade is good too and the IQ is great.

After watching some you tube videos I think you would be very happy with this camera. If you watch Ken Rockwells video, it is better than Sony :) (Yep, he said that and he shoots jpg). 
  Once you get use to live view AF you will really like this camera. I would buy a hoodman Loupe (well not that brand but that type).for this camera and use it instead of the viewfinder. (would I still prefer full frame? sure but if I was on a budget, had ef-s lenses, I would absolutely upgrade to this camera.)

Here are some links  I personally have the swivi (pictured below ) because it is the only one that will fit my 1dxiii but the other is the same unit with a different brand name. You don't have to get this unit, and it does add some bulk to the camera but if you are doing live view shots with a tripod or hand held with a small lens (like ef-s) then it is great (most people get the for video but I don't use it for that very often). But to be honest, younger people are use to using a cell phone to take pictures and they are use to holding the camera/phone out in front of them and if so, these are not needed. Good luck. I think you did your research and made a good decision, if you decide on that camera. Canon is doing referbished for $1097. Used under $1000
www.amazon.com/BTER-Viewfinder-Professio...stable/dp/B09FNVGH6M
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121673893098

2 years 5 days ago #734610 by r1ch
Ok, I watched the rest of Kens video, it is hilarious. Don't watch it if you are sensitive to racism. In case you can't laugh at Ken, one good fact to know this camera is not considered entry level  and is built in Japan which is better quality.

2 years 4 days ago #734614 by Esseff

r1ch wrote:

Esseff wrote: This is the thing... new camera body, not a problem. But new camera and new lenses, that's gonna get expensive.

Get an R5, it will work with your lenses. :)

Cheapest body (only body) was €4K so no... just no...

2 years 4 days ago #734615 by Esseff

r1ch wrote: Ok, I watched the rest of Kens video, it is hilarious. Don't watch it if you are sensitive to racism. In case you can't laugh at Ken, one good fact to know this camera is not considered entry level  and is built in Japan which is better quality.

Yeah I looked closer at full frame cameras but I honestly think the 90D will suit me nicely. There was a used one going €850 but that was sold before I got in on the deal. Others are around a grand, like you said.

2 years 4 days ago #734617 by r1ch
The referbished cameras are on the Canon website and they should warranted them all over the world. You should be able to buy it direct from Canon. Referbs are usually people who changed their minds and the can no longer sell them as new. And if they were repaired, they are tested to factory spec. Just an option and they have the full Canon warranted if you run into a problem.

2 years 4 days ago #734618 by r1ch
Nevermind. I see there is a German (which I assume you are) site for Canon and though I cannot read German, it does not look like they have refurbished units there..

2 years 4 days ago #734619 by Esseff

r1ch wrote: Nevermind. I see there is a German (which I assume you are) site for Canon and though I cannot read German, it does not look like they have refurbished units there..

I never thought of going dirctly to Canon... I was gonna buy used from Ebay Kleinanzeigen (our version of Gumtree). Let me see what I can find wrt Canon...

2 years 4 days ago #734627 by r1ch

Esseff wrote:

r1ch wrote: Nevermind. I see there is a German (which I assume you are) site for Canon and though I cannot read German, it does not look like they have refurbished units there..

I never thought of going dirctly to Canon... I was gonna buy used from Ebay Kleinanzeigen (our version of Gumtree). Let me see what I can find wrt Canon...

This one came with the lens and 1 year warranty. 940 euros
shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refur...os-90d-efs-18-55-kit

1 year 11 months ago #735771 by Esseff
Well I did and bought me the 90D.

Brand spanking new. I is happeh!! :woohoo:

It's waaay better than the old 600D. I feel I kind of hit a ceiling with the old one but now... I'm really gonna have to improve my skills A LOT to get the full capabilities out of this beast.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024