Mac or PC?

12 years 5 months ago #161323 by littlebirdie
I'm sure this is asked way to much. But I'm primarily a PC user but I always hear from other photographers that if I'm serious about photography I should convert to Mac. Is this true? Does it even matter?

12 years 5 months ago #161325 by Rob pix4u2
Macs now run the same INTEL processors that run PC's so all my computer nerd contacts say it doesn't make a difference except in which software you are running

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #161331 by geoffellis

Rob pix4u2 wrote: it doesn't make a difference except in which software you are running

And thats a very important factor. theres no question that you can buy laptops with identical specs... but thats not why you buy a mac.

You buy a mac because it runs MacOS X

Besides... macbooks arent that expensive if you actually compare prices. yes you can get a cheap laptop... but they dont have the same specs. compare computers with specs similar to a macbook pro and theyll be around the same price point.
12 years 5 months ago #161686 by Stealthy Ninja
Honestly I think with Windows 7 it's pretty close. Personally I like the mac interface but all the Mac vs PC stuff is fluff.
12 years 5 months ago #161719 by geoffellis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Honestly I think with Windows 7 it's pretty close. Personally I like the mac interface but all the Mac vs PC stuff is fluff.

right now... id probably agree. 1-2 years ago... definately not

MacOS had real support for multi-core processors, 64 bit processors, and a journaling file system years before windows. cant say for sure that apple/linux will stay ahead of the curve... but if theyre already years ahead who knows what theyll be releasing in their next update. even now things like AirDrop, Gestures, Built in Disk-Encryption, Versions - all seem to be ahead of microsoft.
12 years 5 months ago #161720 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Honestly I think with Windows 7 it's pretty close. Personally I like the mac interface but all the Mac vs PC stuff is fluff.

right now... id probably agree. 1-2 years ago... definately not

MacOS had real support for multi-core processors, 64 bit processors, and a journaling file system years before windows. cant say for sure that apple/linux will stay ahead of the curve... but if theyre already years ahead who knows what theyll be releasing in their next update. even now things like AirDrop, Gestures, Built in Disk-Encryption, Versions - all seem to be ahead of microsoft.

Well I like Mac, so I'm happy to agree with you mate. :thumbsup:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #162159 by Henry Peach
I can't speak for video, but with still photography Adobe software, and all the other major contenders, run the same on either system. If you have the same amount of ram, processing speed, and other resources you aren't going to notice any difference except price tag. Shopping for my last Photoshop workstation the Mac with the same specs as the PC I bought was more than twice as expensive.
12 years 5 months ago #162220 by geoffellis

Henry Peach wrote: I can't speak for video, but with still photography Adobe software, and all the other major contenders, run the same on either system. If you have the same amount of ram, processing speed, and other resources you aren't going to notice any difference except price tag. Shopping for my last Photoshop workstation the Mac with the same specs as the PC I bought was more than twice as expensive.

Are you talking about a desktop? or laptop? cause ive never seen a macbook with the same specs as another laptop brand. atleast not identical. just saying it had 4gb ram and a 2.4ghz processor with a 500gb hdd doesnt mean they are "the same". ram comes in different bus speeds, processors come with different cores, and hdd come with different write speeds, You can pay 150$ for a lowend processor, or 600$ for a highend processor. same with ram and video cards

Sure they may "appear" to be the same in most situations... but that doesnt mean you arent getting what you pay for. So if a simple image edit is all your doing... I can sell you a 400-500$ generic laptop with the "same specs" as a macbook pro that will do the job in no time. start up a resource hungry game or start editing 10gb video files... and you will no doubt see a massive difference in the performance.

However from a photography standpoint, macos also uses the HFS+ file system, as opposed to NTFS on the newer Windows OS. This is key because (based on what ive read anyways), the write operations are generally faster/more efficient, especially when dealing with lots of smaller files. I wont get into technical details but the consensus seems to be that it has to do with the way the file system allocates space/naming/permissions/etc. Since HFS+ is also journaling file system (not sure if NTFS has caught up to that yet though) things like corrupted files are less likely...

bah i could go on... getting a little bored though. I guess it depends on whether you value price or performance. because quite frankly, mac or not... you get what you pay for. you might be paying a premium for a mac... but its not as crazy a premium as people think. if youre paying half of what apple charges for the same thing, i can practically guarantee that you have not walked away with the same components as apple is selling.
12 years 5 months ago #162401 by Stealthy Ninja
So Geoff (I'm assuming this is your name) basically Macs are more efficient at using hardware?

Yes I do agree that you get what you pay for with a mac. PCs can and do cut corners in bus speed etc. to appear to be better value for money.

Buying the windows OS will probably make up the difference in price. The last update for Mac OS (10.7 aka Lion) cost $30USD. Windows 7 is at least $119 (retail price for upgrade to Home Premium) and up to $319 (Ultimate).
12 years 5 months ago #162525 by geoffellis
yes Geoff is my name heh

I think the main issue when comparing PC hardware to mac hardware prices is the fact that PC manufacturers do cut corners.... and they dont /really/ tell you that when you buy the computer. This is what propogates the "myth" that macs are expensive.

Sure you can find a PC with 2.4ghz quad core and 4gb ram with a 500GB hard with a video card with 1gb dedicated ram for 600$ which is what i believe the lowend macbook pros currently advertise for like 1100$ or whatever.

the cheaper laptop/computer will likely have a smaller processor cache, lower bus speeds, the harddrive will be slower rpm, longer seek and access times, smaller transfer rates etc. and the ram and gpu on the graphics may also be significantly slower than a higher end graphics card. not noticeable to the average user but once you start peaking it will make a difference. if you went and bought a laptop that actually had hardware comparable to a mac, the price is no longer 600$ - its 1000+ depending on the exact specs

As for higher efficiency at using hardware... most of it is the same right now. Windows 7 has really improved its hardware performance. currently i believe the only sticking point is that Mac uses a better filesystem (HFS+) which does make working with files (such as photos), slightly faster. Most recently the main difference was the 64 bit quad core support. Before windows 7 you might have had a 64 bit os... but no 64 bit programs that could use it. same with quad cores... you had 4 cores... but applications would only use1 of them at time LOL - my understanding is that this has improved, but i dont have hard references in front of me to confirm/deny.

my final statement would be that Mac OS is Linux. Its just been modified slightly (mostly user interface stuff but a few other things like the HFS+ file system). Its still running a linux kernel however... and that to me says that it has all the stuff that makes linux so great as well... mainly efficiency and security.

Just to show an example... back in the day... maybe 8 years ago now. I had a Pentium 1 computer. I think it was only 166mhz or 266mhz, not sure exactly with 128mb ram. Could barely run Windows 98... definitely couldnt run ME/2000/XP - yet i was able to put a modern install of RedHat Linux 8.0 and it ran with very little issues for a couple years. Hell id probably still be using it if it wasnt stolen while i was moving. anyways my point is... Linux is efficient. its lightweight and resource easy. You boot windows nowadays and youre probably using close to 0.5-1GB of ram right away depending on how much shit youve installed. my linux partition doesnt come near that unless i start running applications.

bah im probably rambling on again. enough for now LOL
12 years 5 months ago #163088 by CatherineW
It's all preference. Personally I like Mac's because of the look and feel

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024