Color Profiles

12 years 1 month ago #205292 by Phil0
In a nutshell i am having a problem with the colors of prints I get back from various print companies and have got myself confused.
I have a Spyder3 monitor calibrator and use it quite easily enough but the image i see on the monitor is always different to what i get back from the printers. I use a pro print company by the way so it is something i am doing wrong.
The company tells me to send my images to them saved in the sRGB color space which i think i am doing?
I use photoshop cs5 and Lightroom 3 for editing so can someone point me in the right direction so i can set up cs5 and lightroom correctly.

12 years 1 month ago #205300 by Ms. Amy
It's a problem of side by side comparisons. Your monitor is a self-illuminating sources. Your print is not. Your monitor will typically have a dynamic range quite different to that of a print. To accurately compare them side by side you need:

1. Monitor calibrated to a specific white balance, gamma curve, and with the brightness and black point values carefully clamped to a certain dynamic range not exceeding that of the print.

2. Room lighting that is dark enough not to contribute to any changes in colour balance of what you see on the screen.

3. A calibrated lightbox set to a brightness that compares with the monitor brightness and a white balance that is often set to the monitor - some adjustment value to compensate for the fact that inkjet paper is actually slightly blue in colour.

The poor mans version is set your monitor to around about 5000-5500 kelvin and stare at your picture for a little while. Then walk outside and have a look at your picture in the sunlight.

The most important part your calibrator does is make sure that your colours are consistent across the tone curve. So that light grey and dark grey are both neutral, so that your value of pure blue is a very specific blue. Beyond that, white balance and contrast are heavily dependant on the viewing conditions of the print.

12 years 1 month ago #205302 by Cyber geek

12 years 1 month ago #205304 by Phil0
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have looked at the link to the website and done my own research, what a minefield the topic is!!
Just about got it cracked now apart from the brightness. As silly as it sounds i think maybe that is caused by me looking at my monitor at a funny angle.
Anyway a new monitor is on its way to me

12 years 1 month ago #205305 by Cyber geek
Not silly at all. TN film panels change both in brightness and tone with viewing angles. That's why some of us spend $1000 on high end IPS LCDs from Eizo or NEC

12 years 1 month ago #205322 by Baydream
One thing I discovered is that some print services default to "color correction". I have turned that option OFF when I submit and my colors are better. Even the one-hour shops have the ability to turn off color correction but many don't offer any training to staff on the "how and why".

I had a vivid shot of a lighthouse near sunset with the light behind it so the sky was brilliant orange. It was a film shot and when I got the 4x6 it looked terrific. I took the negative to a "pro" shop to get an 8x10 printed. I had to take the 4x6 to them to use as a "guide" photo and get if reprinted.
This is a similar shot from that evening along with a version that is sort of like what they did to it.

BTW - An old CRT dinosaur often rendered better photos than some of the low end LCD monitors.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #205454 by Henry Peach

Baydream wrote: BTW - An old CRT dinosaur often rendered better photos than some of the low end LCD monitors.

:agree:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024