Memory Card Buying Guide: Know what do you look for BEFORE buying!

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #274113 by PhotographyTalk
There are many excellent brands of memory cards for DSLR cameras. The one you choose depends on a number of factors.

• The level of your DSLR.
• What kind of photography you like to shoot.
• The conditions under which you shoot.
• How many images you capture during a session.
• Whether they are RAW or JPEG.
• The speed of your camera’s continuous burst mode and whether you use it at its fastest speed.
• How quickly you want images to be read for transfer to your computer and write speed for continuous burst mode, HD video and 3D video.

1. SanDisk Extreme Pro Memory Cards

Since I shoot with the Nikon D800, I rely on SanDisk memory cards , especially the Extreme Pro cards because they read as fast as 95MB per second and write at 90MB per second. They are also rated at UHS Speed Class 1 and Class 10 for Full HD and 3D video. Of course, factors, such as your camera model, file size, resolution, compression, bit rate, content, etc., will affect how well the SanDisk Extreme Pro memory cards support video.

Landscapes are probably my favorite photographic genre, so the Extreme Pro cards are also my choice because they’re engineered and built for extreme weather and other unknown conditions that you and I might face. For example, the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards are waterproof. They can be immersed in salt or fresh water for as much as 72 hours and to a depth of a bit more than 3 feet (1 meter). They can also withstand as much as 500Gs of shock and are vibration proof. Of extreme importance to photographers that travel often is that these cards are magnet proof and X-ray proof, protecting them from the scans of security machines at airports.

Another important reason I shoot with the SanDisk Extreme Pro Memory Cards is that one weekend I may be shooting in the hotter temperatures of the Pacific coast or inland desert, and then the next weekend shooting landscapes in the cold mountains. These cards are rated for -13 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit, so I know temperature will never be an obstacle.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro Memory Cards come in 8GB, 16GB , 32GB and 64GB capacities .

2. SanDisk Extreme Memory Cards

The only real difference between the SanDisk Extreme Pro and Extreme is the read/write rates. The Extremes have a 45MB rate. In addition, they are also available in more sizes: 4GB, 8GB, 16 GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB. Either card or size will work fine for any professional or serious amateur shooting with a pro-level DSLR.

3. SanDisk Ultra Memory Cards

SanDisk’s Ultra brand of memory cards is generally suited for mid-level DSLRs. If you are shooting with an entry-level camera, you may prefer the Ultra’s read/write rates to the company’s Standard line of cards that also work in entry-level DSLRs.

4. Lexar Memory Cards

Lexar is a brand that seems to receive good reviews and positive customer feedback. The Lexar Professional Class 10 UHS-1 card is available as an SDHC or SDXC type. The 600x is the equivalent of 90MB/second read transfer speed while the 400x is 60MB/second. Both are available at 64GB, 128GB and a whopping 256GB. The mid-level line of Lexar memory cards is known as Platinum II, with a slower, but still effective 200x speed, or 30MB/second. These are better for low-end DSLRs. The SDHC version is comes in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. The SDXC Platinum II is only available with 64GB capacity.

5. Transcend Memory Cards

These are definitely budget-priced cards with slower transfer rates (20GB/18GB/second) than SanDisks or Lexars, but there is a wide range of capacities, from 8GB to 128GB. Enthusiasts and hobbyists shooting with equally budget-friendly DSLRs will find these cards do a good job. Professionals and serious amateurs with higher-grade DSLRs would probably find them too slow, especially if they shoot plenty of RAW files.

When choosing a memory card for your DSLR, remember to check your camera manual or with the manufacturer as to what card it recommends. Ultimately, the best card is the one that matches your camera. Many photographers have discovered they bought an incompatible card simply because they didn’t spend a few minutes doing some research. You’ll spend much more time fuming and cussing, calling the company’s tech support, repackaging the wrong card and returning it.

Recommended Reading: Nikon D600  |  Nikon D4  |  Nikon D800  |  Canon 5D Mark III  |  Canon EOS-1D X

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pilotshark
11 years 1 month ago #274362 by Julie Staas
:thumbsup: Sandisk

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
11 years 5 days ago #280322 by ubix22
I always take images in RAW format (18MB+ size per shot) in my Nikon DSLR and use Sandisk Extreme Pro for more than one year. The fantastic write speed of the memory card is visible particularly in rapid fire mode. This is a must for every DSLR user ..

3 years 2 months ago #708171 by Pilotshark
Thanks for that clear breakdown.

Sandisk is the way to go No Muss or Fuss just put it in and shoot.

So after so many years of doing this or that and life itself getting in my way, I am now at the point where just slowing down and doing things I have put off I have concluded that its time to become creative and do what I want.
Thanks for giving me a place to get started. :-)

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708174 by Piechura
That's strange, I've got a Sandisk Extreme and a Sandisk Ultra, and the Ultra is the faster one. 80MB/sec compared to 40. I usually shoot on a Sony one though, because it's over 200MB/sec and came free with my camera.

3 years 2 months ago #708181 by Screamin Scott
I use both the Sandisk and Lexar. My Sandisk are Extreme pro and my Lexar are Pro 633x. All cards are either 32 or 64 GB in size and I shoot Raw almost exclusively...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024