Surface Pro 3 is very slow to start?

9 years 1 month ago #424423 by Rudy Sosa
Microsoft customer support is the absolute worst.  Can someone here help me out please?  Sometimes when I walk away from my Surface, and come back... let's say 15 minutes later.  It has gone into hibernation mode.  While most computers all you need to do is strike an arbitrary key on the keyboard or move the mouse around and the computer will wake up. NOT the Surface, you need to move things around, click on the power button and wait a few minutes for anything to happen.  Seriously, sometimes it's upwards of 4-5 minutes before this thing turns back on. 

Every time this happens I want to throw this computer out the window.  Is there like a software upgrade for this computer that fixes this? 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #424511 by Stealthy Ninja
According to microsoft you press the power button one time and it'll turn on.

They have a surface pro (2) at my work, I'll do an experiment...

Step 1. Sleep mode... fine, press the power button one time, few seconds later wakes up... now I'll wait a bit for it to go into hibernation (which incidentally should take 4 hours, if yours goes into hibernation after 15 mins I think you have the settings wrong).

Swipe from the left screen to open the charms bar.
Search for "power options"

Click "Change plan settings" on whatever plan you have runrunning.

Click on "Change advanced power settings"
Scroll down till you find "+Sleep" and click it
Click on "+ Hibernate after" and set it to something reasonable

One possibility is you're being impatient and keep clicking the power button or something (making it go back into sleep mode). Try just clicking the power button one time and waiting a few seconds.

I'll be back in 4 hours to conclude the test (I hope I remember)
9 years 1 month ago #424545 by Stealthy Ninja
OK 4.5 hours later, I clicked the button, it started up after a second or so. Just one click.
9 years 1 month ago #424702 by cod
My Surface Pro 3 wakes up instantly when I hit the power button or any keyboard key, as it should. So did the various other samples I tried out before purchasing mine.  This seems to be something specific to your system.

I've read about power management issues on the SP3 affecting wifi connectivity and entry into sleep mode but nothing about your specific problem.  I'm assuming you have the latest system updates installed as they have addressed some power management issues.  All I can suggest is Microsoft support or some online forums.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024