Windows 10

8 years 7 months ago #449070 by Screamin Scott
Well, my copy downloaded this morning & I'm checking it out now..... I like some of the changes & others I'm going to have to get used to. Overall , so far, so good...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449091 by garyrhook
Downloading it now, but won't get around to it for a while.

The bozos at FStoppers have already posted a screed on Facebook complaining about it. Comments indicate that their (his) experience is atypical.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449111 by KCook
I thought an icon was supposed to show up in the System Trey offering the upgrade?  So far I have not seen any new icon.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago #449123 by Screamin Scott
Do you have all of the latest updates installed ?. A genuine copy of Windows 7/8 ?

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449128 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: I thought an icon was supposed to show up in the System Trey offering the upgrade?  So far I have not seen any new icon.

Kelly

What SS said. I had to install 2 optional updates (and reboot) to get the silly thing to show up on my 8.1 system.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449129 by cybersholt
Kelly if you get updated you should see the little white windows icon in the tray like the screenshot. I've been running a copy of Win 10 in VMware for quite some time now, it works pretty well. The biggest improvement I've noticed is Internet Explorer, it's almost as good as chrome now. Also the UI changes are nice and feel like a much better direction than Windows 8 / 8.1. Other than that the performance seems decent & I will probably change soon when I do my yearly Windows reload.

@ Scott did you do a clean install or just upgrade? I'm wondering how the upgrade process turns out.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
8 years 7 months ago #449163 by KCook
No, I'm currently on Win7 (fat, dumb, and happy).  I didn't know you have to register somewhere for the Win10 upgrade icon.

outofit

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #449175 by cybersholt
Hey Kelly, no you just need to run windows update and it should appear automatically. The deal is you get it for free as long as you have a genuine key.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449180 by Screamin Scott

cybersholt wrote:
@ Scott did you do a clean install or just upgrade? I'm wondering how the upgrade process turns out.

Sean, I did the upgrade & it went smoothly with no issues...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449194 by KCook
My Windoz Update is now broken, shows an error.  I put a inquiry about this on the MS Community forum earlier this month.  But have had no further input from them for over a week :angry: .  (And is that forum ever snowed with Update problems!!!)

If they cannot (will not?) fix my Win7 Update issue, I suppose I will just have to try and force an update to 10.

lostpuppy

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago #449208 by Shadowfixer1
I upgraded today. I know there is new stuff but it seems like they just move stuff and change it just for the hell of it. You get used to one way and they change it all up. It doesn't seem better, just different and something new to learn.
8 years 7 months ago #449210 by Stealthy Ninja
Queue jumping right now (ie downloading it and installing it)
8 years 7 months ago #449250 by Stealthy Ninja
If you're having problems with Windows 10 and Adobe CC:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/the-lounge...dll-not-found#449249
8 years 7 months ago #449251 by Stealthy Ninja

cybersholt wrote: The deal is you get it for "free" for a year as long as you have a genuine key.

Actually Microsoft just worded it terribly.  What "free for a year" means if you upgrade within the first year it's free forever.  No extra fees after the first year or anything.

Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Executive Vice President of Operating Systems said this in a blog post:

“We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch. This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.”

Here's the post: 
blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/0...-windows-windows-10/
8 years 7 months ago #449267 by cybersholt
Thanks ninja, 
Seemed like at least for me everyone has something conflicting to say about either the licensing or the actual performance of Win 10. Personally I've been thinking about  switching to it but am not certain that it (w10) is ready for "mission critical" applications. Would be a pain in the *** to spend a bunch of time installing it and my applications just for it to act up and need another clean install which I've heard has been happening to users. I can say my install in VMware which is the insider preview has ran flawless from the beginning, which is a little over 7 months I think. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024