Windows 10

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #449662 by cybersholt
So I am taking the plunge today with my Panasonic tablet,  while I was doing some reading & looking for some drivers for my laptop I ran across this, here . Kind of interesting and not surprising since when I was downloading it I was maxing my net speed.

After installing Windows 10, Feeling like your Internet Bandwidth is dropping away? Windows 10 is stealing your network bandwidth.
Along with the privacy features related to Wi-Fi Sense, Windows 10 users should check for another hidden by default feature that uses your network bandwidth to share updates with other Windows 10 users across the Internet.
Microsoft launched Windows 10 on July 29 and offered a free upgrade to Windows 7,8 and 8.1 users, and for anyone who wants to download it. But, handling millions of simultaneous 3.5GB downloads is quite difficult for the company.
So, in order to cope up with the issue, Microsoft has baked a new feature into its latest desktop operating system that uses the torrent-style approach to obtain software updates, allowing Windows 10 users to download updates from other users.

Windows 10 is Stealing your Internet Bandwidth The feature, known as Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO), is initially designed to help users get faster software updates, which is quite a good idea to handle massive internet traffic of up to 40 Terabits per second (TBps).
WUDO works a lot like torrents work. Your computer running Windows 10 is used as part of a peer-to-peer network to deliver software updates faster to others, each person distributing a little bit of the files across multiple computers and helping everyone download updates quickly.
But, this peer-to-peer sharing method offered by Windows 10 is using your precious Internet bandwidth, without hinting you about it, because the feature is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro edition. WUDO is also enabled in Windows 10 Enterprise and Education, but only for the local network.
How to Disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)?You can disable the feature, but the option is buried deep in the Settings menu for Windows Update.

img\def

To turn this feature OFF, follow these given steps:
  • Go to Settings in the Start menu
  • Search for Update & Security
  • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
  • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
  • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place
The feature is a good idea to speed up software updates, but enabling it by default without the knowledge of users is probably not at all a great idea.
In a statement, a Microsoft said that the feature "helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable internet connection" and that it "doesn't slow down your internet connection" because it uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #449665 by KCook
So . . . Windoz 10 becomes a colossal virus? :pinch:  

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago #449671 by cybersholt
Not really, they are just trying to improve network speed with a torrent like protocol. It makes sense, like if you live in the the east coast and their main servers are overloaded you could possibly connect to a few people close to you and download. BTW I can say the upgrade process went smooth on my tablet, took a while but the boot time seems to be about half of what it was. So there is quite a bit of improvement there, also idle memory consumption is down almost 3/4 of a GB.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #450321 by Joves
Yeah Kelly pretty much. I do not think I will get it myself. Many of the security sites on the Tor network have been speaking about 10 being pretty much a Trojan even with the settings turned off. And it is going to get worse with new dedicated chips that will leave a back door into your system for MS, and big brother. No thanx to that. Some are saying that even if you are running encrypted discs that you will be SOL with that new set up. I am a total privacy kind of person, and looking at what I have read this is not a direction I will be heading in.

8 years 7 months ago #450359 by KCook
But . . . the cloud! . . . the cloud! :slapface:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago #450391 by Shadowfixer1
It was kind of freaky when I booted up a new desktop I bought and one of my images I use for my desktop backdrop on my laptop showed up as the backdrop on the desktop. I wasn't expecting that since the image wasn't on the desktop to begin with. 
8 years 7 months ago #450392 by cybersholt
Yeah that is kind of weird, 8 does that too. You can turn it off or change its settings here . It's been working pretty well for me on my "main" desktop machine, no hiccups or anything odd.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #450400 by icepics
Kelly you crack me up! I'm going to wait til it goes to 11.

What I saw (and not having any particular computer training or expertise but just being a consumer) to me looked like an awkward combination of 7 and 8. Which everyone hated so they couldn't get rid of it fast enough it seems (and what happened to 9??).

I saw something about the privacy issues too, no thanks. They better go back to the drawing board... after another fine mess I wonder if a new CEO will be in the company's future??

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #450519 by Overread
I'm going to wait till I hear the bugs have been worked out, simple as that.  I'm not sold on it yet.  

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #450522 by foxX
Its worked ok for me so far, just annoying its got Bing so tightly integrated into it.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #450524 by cybersholt
There's a cool plugin I just found last night for Chrome that overrides this here , if you want to disable Cortana from searching the web heres a short guide:

How to Disable Bing Integration in the Start MenuLuckily Bing is really easy to disable, and you’ll just need to get to the Cortana search settings screen — the easiest way to do this is to type “cortana settings” into the Start Menu and choose the “Cortana & Search settings” item.

This will bring up the settings dialog, which is going to look different depending on whether  you’ve already disabled Cortana or not .
If you want to disable the Bing integration, you’re going to also have to disable Cortana — so flip that switch to Off.

Now that you’ve disabled Cortana, the rest of the dialog will change and you’ll see an option for “Search online and include web results”, which you are going to want to disable as well — this is how you actually disable Bing from the Start Menu.

And now when you search for anything, it’s going to only search your own PC.

Notice how clean it is now — and it says “Search my stuff” instead of “Search the web”.
Note that If you want to  disable the Search box from the Taskbar , you’ll need to right-click it and choose the Hidden option. 

guide source

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
8 years 7 months ago #450580 by KCook
WOWSER! :woohoo:

Bookmarked that guide!

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024