iPad Pro vs Surface Pro 4 for photographers?

5 years 3 months ago #475847 by Frost Photography
Morning everyone.  So any of you using either of these and can shed some light on your thoughts?  Good business tool or more consumer product?  I'd like something that I can use as a business tool.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #477578 by Farestad
iPad Pro I'm sorry to say is an over priced disappointment.  I wanted to like it, however it's no match to the Surface Pro 4.   I hope Apple steps up their game soon. 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments

5 years 3 months ago #477636 by Glenn Gee
+1 on the Surface Pro. I hate to admit it because I hate Windows with a bloody passion, but it is miles ahead of the iPad.

Photo Comments

5 years 3 months ago #478026 by SJM
Apple got lazy.  I really dislike saying that, however I waited in line for the iPad Pro and after a few hours was not all that impressed.  The pencil is nearly worthless unless you like to draw.  

I hope Apple has some surprises for us this year, otherwise I'll be making the switch to PC.  

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments

5 years 3 months ago #478058 by Gus
Another disappointed Apple fan here. Sad to say the iPad Pro has nothing on the Surface Pro. 

Photo Comments

5 years 3 months ago #478156 by KenMan
It's alright, would have been cool if it had more RAM in it.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #688141 by qingjiu
I'm a digital artist . I was looking for the XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro display drawing tablet which is 11.6 inches so it's smaller. My workspace is quite comfy and I have my couch right next to my desk so I could always take the tablet and draw while watching TV. The thing that I like about the iPad/surface pro though is that I can leave the house easily with them.
In my opnion the iPad Pro is a lot better to draw on than the surface because you get the higher refresh rate(120hz) which results in lower input lag when drawing. Also the apple pencil supports a wider range of pressure sensitivity.

1 year 1 month ago #688785 by JaneK
I'm an iPad girl, so you have my answer.  I don't have the Pro iPad, but mine is used almost daily.  Love it.  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #690377 by NickSano
+1 on the iPad.  Just preferred platform IMHO

Photo Comments

9 months 20 hours ago #699642 by saiiko
i have the ipadPRO11-2020
i work with color and i can say the screen is real sh*t....
the black color is absent as color, there is no dynamic contrast, it is unrealistic to work, I wanted to use it as a second monitor, but stop this idea.
with backlight 100% black around #18142b
~ 17% deviation in brightness from pure black. (# 000000)
"this" is called the best ips screen on the market ...
I have an OLED near, compare near its black - just looks like TN  ..
everything higher in the range - well, it's looks pretty .. if in bright light or in contrast img you don't even notice the colors right away until you fill most of the screen with black at home or in the darkness ...
so if you have many night photos..the black areas on it you will see like just haze...huge haze, only haze..
only way is down backlight around 30% and down..its not enouh but you can see contrast ratio more correct...
sorry Apple fans, but I don't like pink snot, I'm realistic and objective.

9 months 18 hours ago #699643 by Nikon Shooter
Staying away from MS and being invested in Mac's ecosystem,
I got myself the iPad — mainly as a platform for my portfolio. I
love that thing.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The FujiFilm X-T3 vs X-T4 debate is an interesting one - is the newer of the two the better option or should you save more money and go for the older one? Let's find out!

Jul 19, 2021

The Olympus PEN E-PL10 is a tiny camera, but it's loaded with features that make it a great option as an all-day camera for beginners and enthusiasts.

Jul 14, 2021

While the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 is eight years old, you might find that it still offers some specs and features that make it a worthy budget camera option for 2021.

Jul 13, 2021

While the Canon EOS-1D Mark III came out well over a decade ago, as a professional camera, it still offers plenty of features for photographers in 2021.

Jul 12, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photography lights are an integral component of your workflow whether you work in the studio or on location. A soft panel LED will be a great addition!

Jul 22, 2021

Building a successful photography business means making smart investments with your time and money. Use this list to guide how you use both.

Jul 22, 2021

A house with bright windows poses challenges to photographers to get a well-exposed interior shot. Learn how to overcome that challenge in this tutorial.

Jul 20, 2021

If you need a good camera for real estate agents, look no further than these mirrorless and DSLR options from a variety of brands.

Jul 20, 2021

If you have damaged images and are wondering, "Can damaged photos be restored?", the answer is yes - in a variety of ways, too!

Jul 20, 2021

Taking photos of the night sky can seem daunting, but using the 500 rule can help you get pinpoint stars that fill the dark night sky.

Jul 20, 2021

Learning how to get good at photography is one thing, but learning it fast is another. With these tips, you'll be able to quickly improve your photos!

Jul 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-T3 vs X-T4 debate is an interesting one - is the newer of the two the better option or should you save more money and go for the older one? Let's find out!

Jul 19, 2021