I'm looking for a cheap lightweight laptop computer

7 years 4 months ago #506802 by Kay Baker
This will be a first computer for my brothers daughter.  So doesn't need to be the latest and greatest.  Just something that she can have some educational programs running, surf child friendly websites and easy for her to carry around.  

Can you suggest some please?  Thank you!

Kay

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #506829 by Matt Benton
Have you looked at one of those Chrome Books?  You can pick up one for under a couple hundred bucks. 

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #506849 by KCook
When I bought a cheapo laptop I made two critical mistakes:

The display has a max resolution under 900px. 900px is the min for Win10. This laptop was still sold as a Win10 system, in spite of that requirement!!!

The HD is only 27Gb. Again, insufficient for Win10.

Buyer beware!

roadkill

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 4 months ago #507046 by Zorka

KCook wrote: When I bought a cheapo laptop I made two critical mistakes:

The display has a max resolution under 900px. 900px is the min for Win10. This laptop was still sold as a Win10 system, in spite of that requirement!!!

Buyer beware!

roadkill

What OS are they shipping those with?

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #507064 by KCook

Zorka wrote:

KCook wrote: When I bought a cheapo laptop I made two critical mistakes:

Buyer beware!

roadkill

What OS are they shipping those with?

Erm, I mentioned Win10 three times? :(

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 4 months ago #507584 by albinpix
Do you have a budget? I have to second the suggestion on looking into a Chrome Book.

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #508457 by JaneK
My sister bought one of those Chromebooks and she returned it in less than 30 days, she had so many issues.

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #508641 by Oscar Cohen
Have you considered a tablet?  Might get you better performance for less.  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #509512 by effron
Cook gave a big hint. You shop price and you'll be disappointed. You need a powerful computer to run Photoshop and like programs, and do other things. I'd need 8 gig memory as a minimum, 1TB harddrive and a top of the line processor, that gets one into a grand at least. Save more money!
Edit: after Christmas there will be sales....(I should have read the entire op)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513537 by Ruby Grace
What's your budget? 

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024