i7 vs i9 Macbook Pro worth the $300

5 years 1 month ago #634216 by Noah J
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new Macbook Pro and want to know if it's worth to drop another $300 from the i7 to i9?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634266 by Troponin

Noah J wrote: Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new Macbook Pro and want to know if it's worth to drop another $300 from the i7 to i9?

I guess that depends if $300 is a lot of money to you and if this is at the top of your budget. There are definite performance differences in the i7 and i9, including battery, probably 15-20% faster overall.  So the next thing you need to ask yourself, is $300 worth a 15% increase in performance.

There are some workarounds that will help you with an i7’s performance,  but it’s limited  because the hardware is older and cannot support the new software as well.  On the other hand, these devices are very expensive and there might be other options. What exactly do you need from your system?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634317 by Don Granger
Save your $$$ unless you are going to bump up the video too.  The i9 doesn't see much difference unless you picked up the Vega 20 video upgrade. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634349 by ShutterPal
So it's the complete package you'll want to get in order to maximize benefits from that i9 processor.  So, you'll want to get the 32GB RAM as well. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634390 by Scott Klubeck
I'd be curious how hot that i9 runs compared to the i7 in that tight MBP housing.  Heat has never been a friend to the MBP computers.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634402 by Nikon Shooter

Don Granger wrote: Save your $$$ unless you are going to bump up the video too. 

Don has got it right. i7 is waaaay sufficient for photos — even
in any batch processing as long as you top the RAM, it will be
a better investment.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635821 by Troponin

Don Granger wrote: Save your $$$ unless you are going to bump up the video too.  The i9 doesn't see much difference unless you picked up the Vega 20 video upgrade. 

"...during a heavy CPU test..."

Keep in mind, he made a conclusion based on a non-realistic test. I am not saying I have a better conclusion, however, they stated heat lowered the performance of the i9, matching the performance of the i7, under heavy CPU testing. This is a pretty rare situation for a majority of work. What would it take to max this CPU out for extended periods of time? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024