Apple to discontinue iTunes after 18 years!

4 years 9 months ago #646532 by Toby J
They are reported to be firing up 3 new apps so people can access all their movies, music and tv shows.  I hope this is an improvement and not PITA moving from one app to three.

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-itunes-social-media-wwdc-2019-2019-6

For one, I'm not too excited about this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646537 by Troponin
My biggest hang up with iTunes isn't the app on the phone, it was always the desktop app.  It's too "automatic" with its processes and many times it would end up syncing files I didn't want it too. They may have improved on it over the years, but I will never use an auto sync process again. It's too unsecure. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646562 by Troponin
On another note, I stopped using iTunes completely because it’s mp3. Sound quality is not good. Other social media, like YouTube, have HD sound. 

Some musicians refuse to put their music on iTunes because of that reason. They argue “why are we spending all of this money on the best sound equipment only to have it downdgraded to an mp3 file?”

and its more expensive in the long run 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646673 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: On another note, I stopped using iTunes completely because it’s mp3. Sound quality is not good. Other social media, like YouTube, have HD sound. 

Some musicians refuse to put their music on iTunes because of that reason. They argue “why are we spending all of this money on the best sound equipment only to have it downdgraded to an mp3 file?

And those same musicians have record companies and producers that digitally compress the heck out of their music (see 'loudness wars') to the point you can't listen to it. All before making an MP3.

There's nothing wrong with MP3s and everything wrong with modern production techniques. I rip my CDs to high bit-rate MP3s and they're fine. And smaller than FLAC files. My collection is large enough at over 60GB.

YT might have better sound because the source is better. Not because it's "HD" (which doesn't exist, by the way... there's no such thing in the audio world; there is 20-bit sound, but it's rare) but because the source isn't a pile o' steaming garbage.

Back to the OP: iTunes' behavior is often annoying, and unintuitive. (Good job, Apple!) WinAmp doesn't do asset management. I abhor Media Player. What else is there? I should go looking for alternatives....

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024