Can iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the fact?

4 years 2 weeks ago #681168 by CatherineW
My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?  

Just trying to save a few bucks in the start.  

Thank you

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681240 by 7Wishes
The short answer is yes you can. But unlike the non pro iMacs it is a considerable undertaking and risks voiding the warranty

4 years 2 weeks ago #681241 by Nikon Shooter
Both my machines could be… I made sure of it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681245 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote: My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?

This question was just asked in another thread.... weird.

The memory is soldered onto the board (why? height of components? making upgrades impossible, forcing you to spend money when you realize you need more? Pick one.)

Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681378 by Eric A
1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681388 by garyrhook

Eric A wrote: 1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

Suggest being helpful: point to one.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681389 by Eric A

garyrhook wrote:

Eric A wrote: 1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

Suggest being helpful: point to one.

When I responded to this,  I was out walking my dog.  I'm still in park, typing this on my phone.  When I get home, I will link to one.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681393 by CatherineW

Nikon Shooter wrote: Both my machines could be… I made sure of it!

Did you do it yourself?  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681394 by CatherineW

garyrhook wrote:

CatherineW wrote: My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?

This question was just asked in another thread.... weird.

The memory is soldered onto the board (why? height of components? making upgrades impossible, forcing you to spend money when you realize you need more? Pick one.)

Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Where? I did a search for my answer first before posting this.  As I recall, someone was asking about an Macbook Pro, which I knew already.  This question is regarding an iMac Pro.  

Anyway, thank you.

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681395 by CatherineW

(hand in face)  Didn't check there.  Good point, thank you.  I will check that next.  If you know of a good video, please share at your convenience.  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681412 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Where? I did a search for my answer first before posting this.  As I recall, someone was asking about an Macbook Pro, which I knew already.  This question is regarding an iMac Pro.  

Anyway, thank you.

I'm not a Mac person, so I don't know the product line. And my mistake, in that I thought we were discussing a laptop, not a desktop. My bad, and apologies for that.

In any event, apparently Apple likes the idea of soldering in memory, so I'm not surprised to see that applied to more than one type of system.

I did see that there are folks out there providing services to change the memory. It is really annoying that vendors use RAM as a cash cow. (It's not just Apple.)

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #681424 by Nikon Shooter

CatherineW wrote: Did you do it yourself?  

Sure!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681426 by garyrhook
That's an iMac, not an iMac Pro. The Pro does not have a door, nor user-accessible memory slots. It requires disassembling the system.

I was wrong about soldering, but after searching for information on the system under discussion, there's lots of information, and yes, YT videos that show you the procedure. The slots are buried in the chassis.

But the above video is not relevant. to an iMac Pro.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681427 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: That's an iMac, not an iMac Pro. The Pro does not have a door, nor user-accessible memory slots. It requires disassembling the system.

Correct… my mistake.

That is among the reasons I didn't go for the iMac Pro
that I though overkill for photography.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #681825 by CatherineW
Hey thanks everyone, I got the answer I was after.  Stay safe!  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024