Can iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the fact?

3 years 11 months ago #681168 by CatherineW
My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?  

Just trying to save a few bucks in the start.  

Thank you

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681240 by 7Wishes
The short answer is yes you can. But unlike the non pro iMacs it is a considerable undertaking and risks voiding the warranty

3 years 11 months ago #681241 by Nikon Shooter
Both my machines could be… I made sure of it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681245 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote: My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?

This question was just asked in another thread.... weird.

The memory is soldered onto the board (why? height of components? making upgrades impossible, forcing you to spend money when you realize you need more? Pick one.)

Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681378 by Eric A
1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681388 by garyrhook

Eric A wrote: 1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

Suggest being helpful: point to one.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681389 by Eric A

garyrhook wrote:

Eric A wrote: 1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

Suggest being helpful: point to one.

When I responded to this,  I was out walking my dog.  I'm still in park, typing this on my phone.  When I get home, I will link to one.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681393 by CatherineW

Nikon Shooter wrote: Both my machines could be… I made sure of it!

Did you do it yourself?  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681394 by CatherineW

garyrhook wrote:

CatherineW wrote: My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?

This question was just asked in another thread.... weird.

The memory is soldered onto the board (why? height of components? making upgrades impossible, forcing you to spend money when you realize you need more? Pick one.)

Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Where? I did a search for my answer first before posting this.  As I recall, someone was asking about an Macbook Pro, which I knew already.  This question is regarding an iMac Pro.  

Anyway, thank you.

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681395 by CatherineW

(hand in face)  Didn't check there.  Good point, thank you.  I will check that next.  If you know of a good video, please share at your convenience.  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681412 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Where? I did a search for my answer first before posting this.  As I recall, someone was asking about an Macbook Pro, which I knew already.  This question is regarding an iMac Pro.  

Anyway, thank you.

I'm not a Mac person, so I don't know the product line. And my mistake, in that I thought we were discussing a laptop, not a desktop. My bad, and apologies for that.

In any event, apparently Apple likes the idea of soldering in memory, so I'm not surprised to see that applied to more than one type of system.

I did see that there are folks out there providing services to change the memory. It is really annoying that vendors use RAM as a cash cow. (It's not just Apple.)

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #681424 by Nikon Shooter

CatherineW wrote: Did you do it yourself?  

Sure!

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681426 by garyrhook
That's an iMac, not an iMac Pro. The Pro does not have a door, nor user-accessible memory slots. It requires disassembling the system.

I was wrong about soldering, but after searching for information on the system under discussion, there's lots of information, and yes, YT videos that show you the procedure. The slots are buried in the chassis.

But the above video is not relevant. to an iMac Pro.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681427 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: That's an iMac, not an iMac Pro. The Pro does not have a door, nor user-accessible memory slots. It requires disassembling the system.

Correct… my mistake.

That is among the reasons I didn't go for the iMac Pro
that I though overkill for photography.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681825 by CatherineW
Hey thanks everyone, I got the answer I was after.  Stay safe!  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024