RAM or Processor?

1 year 11 months ago #692104 by Tom Henry
In terms of editing power, which throttles computers the most, RAM or the processor?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 11 months ago #692108 by Nikon Shooter
An inadequate RAM will bottleneck the work of the processor
but enough will support its speed and power.

The processor is the driving force and the RAW its tool.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

1 year 11 months ago #692110 by saponcpa
Thank you for your question. Actually, If you are a photographer and confuse which is works so much. I will say Processor but you should buy 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® Optane™. Then Get it a good performance. 

1 year 11 months ago #692114 by Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter wrote: An inadequate RAM will bottleneck the work of the processor
but enough will support its speed and power.

The processor is the driving force and the RAW its tool.

How did that M ever got upside down?  :ohmy:  :silly:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

1 year 11 months ago #692136 by garyrhook

saponcpa wrote: Thank you for your question. Actually, If you are a photographer and confuse which is works so much. I will say Processor but you should buy 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® Optane™. Then Get it a good performance. 

Do you work for Intel?

Actually, bang for the buck, you want an AMD Ryzen 7 or 9, recent generation, or a Threadripper. If your application can take advantage of threads, then more is better. Lightroom, for example, is very threaded. And you want enough memory to avoid paging to disk, and failing that, you want to use an NVMe drive for best performance (because it's PCIe-connected).

That said, the processor is often the bottleneck. Not always, but it depends upon the application and the use case.

Photo Comments

1 year 11 months ago #692350 by saponcpa
I am agreed at your point. AMD Ryzen 9 Generation is really good. In fact, high power PC is mandatory to use Lightroom software, that's why I bought Core I 8 generation. I find your advice helpful. That is why I would request my PC provider for AMD Ryzen. Thank you, @Garyhook.

1 year 11 months ago #692442 by Uplander
RAM all the way

Photo Comments

1 year 9 months ago #697464 by robertsmith19
Both play an important role. But I think, you should go for the processor first. 

Photo Comments

1 year 8 months ago #698090 by Naheed
The more powerful processor means your computer can quickly
accomplish its tasks. The more RAM means more data can juggle
at any given moment.

1 year 8 months ago #698294 by yuanyasmine
RAM is cheap and can always be upgraded, whereas the processor isn't.  (well you could change the processor, but honestly, how often do we do this?)  I always go for the better processor.  Of course, the price difference would be the biggest factor for my decision of the two.

1 year 8 months ago #698703 by Peter Nunez

yuanyasmine wrote: RAM is cheap and can always be upgraded, whereas the processor isn't.  (well you could change the processor, but honestly, how often do we do this?)  I always go for the better processor.  Of course, the price difference would be the biggest factor for my decision of the two.

You can't upgrade RAM in late model MacBooks after you bought the computer.   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022