Best budget laptop for phot editing?

3 years 4 months ago #705621 by Fotobug333
Hello other photo junkies! New to the group/ forum and am in the market for a budget laptop to handle light/ medium photo editing in most likely lightroom. Has been on the back burner for a couple of years and now I'm in the position to start getting back into my photos. Going with a laptop do to versatility and being able to go anywhere I go. Was looking at this model ASUS - Vivobook 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon Vega 8 - 512GB SSD - Silver - Silver Notebook X512DA-BTS2020RL After days of delving into the dark, deep, well of internet research and pro suggestions via you tube and top lists that I went through. Also playing with a few laptops at the store I liked the quick smooth response of the asus brands and the picture quality was fantastic with good color quality. The one I used at the store was a ryzen 3 model and I know that i5/ ryzen 5 is better processing.  Honestly I'm trying really hard to keep it under $500-600, as this year has been hard and this is an added personal expense.  Thoughts, advice, ect is appreciated!

3 years 3 months ago #707439 by MYoung
My sister has been using ASUS computers for long time and swears by them.  As for me, I’m a Mac girl and would recommend MacBook.  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707440 by Nikon Shooter
Your efforts and devotion to this activity requires quite some
investments for shooting gear; and, from the SR moment to
the print, the whole chain is no stronger than its weakest point.
Better wait than make a wrong investment. I'm a Mac user too.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #708172 by Pilotshark
I am kind of in your position right now, and thinking of saving a few more dollars and going with the new M1 MacBook air.
and that is coming from a total windows guy. the Mac seems to be something you will not have to replace quickly and you can get the minimum one and just add a few things to keep it going for a while.

So after so many years of doing this or that and life itself getting in my way, I am now at the point where just slowing down and doing things I have put off I have concluded that its time to become creative and do what I want.
Thanks for giving me a place to get started. :-)

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #708173 by Piechura

Pilotshark wrote: I am kind of in your position right now, and thinking of saving a few more dollars and going with the new M1 MacBook air.
and that is coming from a total windows guy. the Mac seems to be something you will not have to replace quickly and you can get the minimum one and just add a few things to keep it going for a while.

I've just bought one of those. Just went for the base model and bought a Sandisk 1TB external SSD. I'm really happy with it so far after being really annoyed with the (more expensive) Asus I bought in the summer. You never realise how much fans annoy you until you own a computer that doesn't need one.

There are a couple of things that take a while to get used to (the command button is too close to the C and V keys), but I reckon within a week it was completely seamless tbh.

Having said all that, there's no upgrading them once you've got them, so get the specs you need. The advantage of a Mac is that they tend to hold their value better though, so if you buy it and then in two years you decide you need more performance, you can probably get a decent second hand price for it.

As for the OP, I think the Asus you mention sounds fine. I'm slightly biased against them because they sold me a dud last year with a trackpad that kept breaking and they couldn't fix it and refused to give me a new one. But yeah, Ryzen 5 or i5 with 8GB RAM should do you well for most needs. 512GB SSD should be fine and then buy external hard SSDs as you need them (might want to check the connection speeds of the USB-C ports). You might find that the screen is the compromise for really accurate colour reproduction, which you would probably only notice if you're printing. And at this price point, you're not going to get a perfect screen, so I wouldn't worry.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pilotshark
3 years 2 months ago #710029 by Alfonso Camil
Amazon has had those new M1 Macs on sale lately

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pilotshark
3 years 2 months ago #710040 by Pilotshark
Yes, keep an eye on the price. I wonder if they will drop some here in March with Apple's usually roll out of new gear. But then again, it might make sense to grab a more recent version.

So after so many years of doing this or that and life itself getting in my way, I am now at the point where just slowing down and doing things I have put off I have concluded that its time to become creative and do what I want.
Thanks for giving me a place to get started. :-)

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #710091 by cowboyup3371
I would personally go with an i7 and 16gb of RAM which means that budget would need to increase to about 700-900.  I say that only because Lightroom seems to work better on that 16 than anything less (at least you'll be happier with it).  I will always use my desktop system for anything at home but I am looking at the Lenovo Ideapad 5I for when I travel on the bike.  It looks light and will fit inside my top case without taking up a lot of room.   I don't know where you live but the MicroCenter near Cincinnati has it for $800 right now

www.microcenter.com/product/629058/lenov...ptop-computer---grey

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024