Nikon D5100 vs Nikon 1

12 years 5 months ago #160155 by RFactor
Getting back into photograpy after a few years away. Was looking at the Nikon D5100 then saw an ad for the apparently new Nikon 1. The price seems to be close so except for the small size of the Nikon 1 and lower resolution, what is the difference?

Thanks, Ron

12 years 5 months ago #160297 by KCook
I'm a Canon troll. Hard to believe our Nikon fans let this one go for 10 hours! Anyways, the difference in sensor size is serious. The 1 will be Ok for strong lighting. But the D5100 will beat it in weak light. Plus a lot of pros just prefer the handling of the beefier body. The 1 is aimed more at being a casual family cam (for Nikon fans ;) ).

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #160469 by RFactor
Thanks Kelly!
That's exactly what I wanted to know. I have an older Coolpix for casual shots. I plan on getting fairly serious so I will probably go for the D5100.... that is unless you can point the way to a better Cannon camera :)

Ron

12 years 5 months ago #160475 by RFactor
Sorry, I guess thats spelled Canon.

12 years 5 months ago #160478 by 4UThomas
Isn't Nikon 1 a film camera?

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #160516 by KCook

RFactor wrote: Thanks Kelly!
That's exactly what I wanted to know. I have an older Coolpix for casual shots. I plan on getting fairly serious so I will probably go for the D5100.... that is unless you can point the way to a better Cannon camera :)

Ron

"Better" is usually relative, often subjective. Nikon usually has a technical edge over Canon. But it's a thin edge, I just like the Canon approach to design better. If you want to flog this choice, there are lots of Canon vs Nikon discussions across the Internet -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...o-it-makes-me-wonder

www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1019338/

forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?...029&message=38548169

forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-s...-canon-eos-d550.html

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #160573 by RFactor
Kelly, Thanks for the links. I am in no hurry and plan on doing a lot of research before buying.

Thomas, the Nikon 1 is a 10.1mp digital camera, I think it is relatively new.

12 years 5 months ago #160810 by Joves
Well the Nikon1 is their entry into the mirrorless cameras, so you use the LCD for focusing. It is very small and compact, so if that appeals to you that could be a factor. One guy at the Digital Grin forum said the camera is actually quite fast or close to the speed of a Dslr. www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=208547 He also has a link to the photos he has shot so far with it in his first post. He has also set up ISO comparisons for it to show how ell it handles higher ISOs which I am impressed with.

12 years 5 months ago #160971 by RFactor
Thanks Joves for the info on the Nikon 1, that was interesting. I would like to see same photos taken with D5100 and/or T3i. Does anyone know of that type of comparison?

12 years 5 months ago #160996 by KCook
Both the Imaging-resource and DPreview sites have features that allow you to compare images from cameras of your choice.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #161156 by Stealthy Ninja
Nikon 1 has a pretty small sensor.

It's main selling point is size to be honest.
12 years 5 months ago #161320 by littlebirdie
I would go with the 5100 main because you did say you were already thinking of buying it. I find that when I have my heart set on something like this if I get distracted by something else and end buying the latter and just end up disappointed later on. This isn't always the case of course.

12 years 5 months ago #161629 by RFactor
Just discovered that the D5100 has built in (limited) time lapse capability but the T3i requires an external intervalometer. Not a real big deal because you can pick up a Chinese intervalometer for around $20. Nikon 1 specs say that under "mode" has "interval timer shooting" so I assume it has some built in time lapse function.

12 years 5 months ago #164516 by James L
If you want a point and shoot go with the Nikon 1, if you want DSLR then go with the 5100. To completely different cameras IMHO

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #164591 by Stealthy Ninja

James L wrote: If you want a point and shoot go with the Nikon 1, if you want DSLR then go with the 5100. To completely different cameras IMHO

LOL yeh, though I think if you want a P&S go for the Canon S95.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024