best pocket camera

13 years 6 months ago #1606 by anchovies
What are the best choices for a camera to keep in my pocked when I am too lazy to get out my 50D?

13 years 6 months ago #1607 by antithesis
There isn’t any best, just depends on what you prefer, fast lens? Long zoom range? Do you absolutely need a compact with OVF? There are many choices these days.

13 years 6 months ago #1608 by anchovies
OVF? What is that? I don’t really have any particular requirements, just a general purpose device. I recently enjoyed using a Canon D10 (underwater camera) for general use, but it had a defect and I returned it.

13 years 6 months ago #1609 by antithesis
OVF= optical view finder.
I use my Panasonic LX3 often but it does have a limited zoom range (26-60mm equivalence). The LX5 just came out. The Samsung EX1 looks very nice. Nikon just announced a decent long range zoom compact I hear. Fuji, Sony, Casio all have travel zoom compacts.

13 years 6 months ago #1610 by anchovies
Oh, that’s what OVF is. Thanks.
I’m leaning towards a Lumix myself.

13 years 6 months ago #1611 by antithesis
You're welcome.

13 years 6 months ago #1859 by anthraxgarbz
Nikon had a few nice pocket cameras. Like the CoolPix L22 or the CoolPix S570.

13 years 5 months ago #4040 by deewun
I've used the Fuji Finepix F200EXR for "tourist" photography, rather than hump my D300 gear around and it has served me well. There are a number of albums at pbase taken with the camera, which will give you an idea of its capabilities. See www.pbase.com/deewun .
Good hunting.

13 years 5 months ago #4305 by grant
I bought a Sony Nex-5 with the two kit lenses 18-55 and 16mm for a Med Cruise. The camera is just amazing. Here's one of the albums shot entirely with the NEX in auto mode (just wanted to enjoy without playing with the camera)

grantmyersphotography.com/Vacation/Amalf...rento/13644199_tHiS4

Worth researching IMO

Good luck on your choice !!!

Grant

13 years 5 months ago #4310 by vzman
New improved Canon S95...f2.0 at widest angle; raw capable; hidef stereo; an hdr (?) capability; great lcd screen and function controls not in menus. Got a S90 that I will trade. I will buy the S95 and pass down the S90.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024