Which entry level DSLR???

12 years 3 months ago #190603 by stancho_75
Hi all skilled and helpful.
I have a niece of 14 years. She attended two years of workshop for photo enthusiasts. During this time, has appeared with my personal camera Canon PowerShot S3 IS. Her friend has a Canon 400D, so there is an idea and work with him. Must choose a DSLR camera from lower class and the necessary accessories for the beginner - bag, memory cards, filters, possibly extra battery, remote trigger, and what a find it necessary. I stopped on the Canon 1100D, Canon 600D or may be Nikon D3100. As every child loves to shoot whatever comes along and still is headed for something specific, perhaps portraits, sports / basketball / macro and landscape. I would be grateful to all who offer specific brands, models and possible links. Limit for the whole story is 500 pounds. Orders will be made in ebay.co.uk. Will be delivered in London.

12 years 3 months ago #190611 by Rob pix4u2
The Nikon D3100 is a good entry level DSLR for her to start out with but you might consider a Canon product if your circle of friends or her friends shoot Canon because there is the issue of having some folks familiar with that system

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: stancho_75
12 years 3 months ago #190617 by stancho_75
I think it would be one of thеsе . Help me to select which to be.

12 years 3 months ago #190618 by mattmoran
:agree:
In addition to having friends familiar with the system, if one person buys a different type of lens, your niece might get to try it out and expand her range.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190625 by mattmoran

stancho_75 wrote: I think it would be one of thеsе . Help me to select which to be.

Do those kits include memory cards?

I would think the first one would be okay. It gives her a pretty good range of focal lengths to play with. Hopefully after a while she would realize the limitations on her own and upgrade the glass.

I have no idea if those are good prices or not cause I don't know the exchange rate and what's available in London. I imagine that even if I knew the exchange rate it would still be an apples to oranges comparison because of VAT and warranty issues.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190629 by mattmoran
Does the class require a DSLR? Cause if not I'd look at other options.

I'm not a big fan of the small sensor DSLRs.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #190650 by stancho_75
mattmoran, but what else would offer an alternative to the small sensor DSLRs.?

12 years 3 months ago #190654 by mattmoran

stancho_75 wrote: mattmoran, but what else would offer an alternative to the small sensor DSLRs.?

A mirrorless rangefinder like one of these:
www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/slrs/oly_ep2
www.dpreview.com/products/sony/slrs/sony_nex3
www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgf3

I'm really not sure what the UK prices would be. Each of these companies have more expensive bodies as well.

What seems essential to me is that you have full manual control and some flexibility. If you are going to be using an APS-C or 4/3 size sensor, you might as well also get an unobtrusive and easy to carry camera out of the deal.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190658 by stancho_75
From last three i like only Panasonic and will think for that. Thank you.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #190662 by KCook

stancho_75 wrote: I think it would be one of thеsе . Help me to select which to be.

My pick would be the 1100D in Grey with 18-55mm IS. All but one of the other bundles have the 18-55 without stabilization (not even sold in the USA market).

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #191209 by LeahJean84

mattmoran wrote: Does the class require a DSLR? Cause if not I'd look at other options.

You may not be a big fan of small sensor DSLRs, but that doesn't mean they are not good cameras or that people should not buy them. Those just starting out in the DSLR world should start on a small sensor camera to get the feel of the camera and the understanding of photography.

12 years 3 months ago #191225 by stancho_75
We made the choice for better or worse. We stopped on the 1100D with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II and 50mm/f1.8. Furthermore, remained at 90 pounds for accessories. Now we have to read, take pictures and learn. Anyway after a while if the benefit can go a more serious lens. Thanks to all who answered with an opinion.
And if you can advise me on the SD memory card - how many GB you think is optimal and what class is like speed.

12 years 3 months ago #191235 by Baydream
Good choice to learn on. A pair of 8GB Class 10 cards would be a good choice. It offers lots of shots. Allows for a backup to keep shooting when downloading and Class 10 gives the transfer speed you will need. Class 6 is cheaper but may not keep up with your camera.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #191236 by mattmoran

stancho_75 wrote: And if you can advise me on the SD memory card - how many GB you think is optimal and what class is like speed.

If your niece shoots RAW, a 4GB card will probably hold around 300 pictures, which I think is plenty for a day's shooting. As for speed, get the fastest card you can; but don't sweat it. Unless she's doing sports photography and shooting long bursts, the speed of the card will probably not be a limiting factor.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #191240 by mattmoran

LeahJean84 wrote:

mattmoran wrote: Does the class require a DSLR? Cause if not I'd look at other options.

You may not be a big fan of small sensor DSLRs, but that doesn't mean they are not good cameras or that people should not buy them. Those just starting out in the DSLR world should start on a small sensor camera to get the feel of the camera and the understanding of photography.

I never said small sensor DSLRs aren't good cameras. However, you can, for about the same price, get a small sensor (APS-C or 4/3) mirror-less camera with the same image quality, the same creative control, and a much smaller, more portable and less obtrusive form factor. To my mind, that makes them a better value and a better choice for aspiring photographers.

But the 1100D the OP ended up buying is a fine camera.

-Matt

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024