cannon eos 5d mark ii OR sony Alpha SLTA77V 24.3MP

12 years 3 months ago #193347 by dimioak
First of all i want to say hello since i am a new member
i know that my question is simple to answer , but i want a ''deeper '' thought of that question ...
so i give the facts to start the conversation
a) cannon is Full Frame , sony but it's not.
b) cannon it's double priced
c) sony has 24.3 MP
d) cannon has more lenses and ofcourse better quality

but for an amateur photographer who wants a new camera is better to spend money in cannon or with the same money take sony with more lenses?I have the sony a200 with a normal and a macro lens. For me is hard to spent 2200e only for a body. But is it useless to spend money for a sony or wait to have money for the cannon????
thanks in advance...

12 years 3 months ago #193375 by butterflygirl921
First off welcome :welcomeclan !!! Second off there are other canon cameras that are cheaper. And just as good. The 5d mark ii is on the more expensive side. But remember you get what you pay for. I would go with the canon personally. Hope this helps.
Amanda

12 years 3 months ago #193388 by mj~shutterbugg
:agree: :welcomeclan ! As for what to buy- I would go with Canon as well. You have the option of the 60D (not sure of it's European name) or the 7D- both are very good Canon's and retail for over a $1,000 less than the 5Dmii. The 60D ($1,189.00 with a lens) & the 7D ($1615.00 with the same lens) both have an 18 megapixel cropped c-mos sensor. Unless you are really needing 23 megapixels or have a serious need for a full frame (like super huge prints) then either of these will suit your needs. I recommend Canon or Nikon over Sony for the growth potential. You can out grow a body and still use most of your lenses with a new body. As you are seeing with your Sony you may be looking at a brand switch and all that entails.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193436 by KCook
Most primes were designed for full frame bodies. So if primes are extra important to you, then a full frame will be a good fit. My first DSLR was a Sony A200. I've since moved on to a Canon EOS 50D, very unlikely I will ever move up to full frame. But I'm an enthusiast, got no "pro" goals. Links to more thoughts -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ll-frame-a-necessity

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #193449 by Scotty

dimioak wrote: First of all i want to say hello since i am a new member
i know that my question is simple to answer , but i want a ''deeper '' thought of that question ...
so i give the facts to start the conversation
a) cannon is Full Frame , sony but it's not.
b) cannon it's double priced
c) sony has 24.3 MP
d) cannon has more lenses and ofcourse better quality

but for an amateur photographer who wants a new camera is better to spend money in cannon or with the same money take sony with more lenses?I have the sony a200 with a normal and a macro lens. For me is hard to spent 2200e only for a body. But is it useless to spend money for a sony or wait to have money for the cannon????
thanks in advance...

Get the Canon 5d Mark II. Canon has a more complete system.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193453 by digishutterbug
I would buy something I could grow into. I have a 5D Mark II. I love it, I don't use half of it, but I keep learning something new. I'm growing into it. Also as said above there are cheaper Canons.

12 years 3 months ago #193476 by TheNissanMan
More importantly, what do you shoot/want to shoot?

It is accepted in most circles that the 5DII is more suited to studio/portrait and something like the 7D for sports/wildlife. There is no point buying a 5D or a Sony if neither of them will do what you want.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #195043 by Henry Peach

dimioak wrote: ...for an amateur photographer who wants a new camera is better to spend money in cannon or with the same money take sony with more lenses?

It's hard to give a good answer without knowing more about what and how you shoot, but in general I'd recommend a cheaper body with a high quality lens over an expensive body and a cheap lens.

At lower ISOs the Sony image quality easy matches the 5DII. At high ISOs the 5DII still rules.
12 years 2 months ago #195051 by mattmoran
The only reason I can think of that you would be comparing these two particular cameras is they are both over 20MP. Counting megapixels is a poor way to evaluate cameras. Once you get over 10 or 12, you are in the "good enough" range and it is time to start looking at other stats like low light performance, etc.

If you don't already have a collection of lenses for a DSLR, I would seriously consider buying into a mirrorless system rather than a DSLR. I think the mirrorless systems will give you better all around performance for the price with better portability. If you decide to get into something that the mirrorless system can't handle, then it might be time to look at a particular DSLR feature you need (fast autofocus for sports, for example) and go from there.

-Matt
12 years 2 months ago #196293 by S0cc3r
I vote for the Canon Mark II. Have you decided which one to buy? Let us know how either camera works out.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024