First DSLR

10 years 5 months ago #304111 by TelD
Hi All

Im new to the forum and this is my first post,
I have resently taken up photography as a hobby again after many years away due to work family comitments etc.
I used to have a old Cheap zenit SLR, which served me well for the few years I had it.

I have been using a finepix s5700 for the last few years for taking family snaps etc. but since Ive been taking more photographs again Im finding it a little wanting. the reason for my post is that Im wanting to upgrade to a DSLR and the choice is bewildering so Ive desided the best thing is to ask those who have been using them for there opinions on which way to go.at the moment I have been mostly doing close work / macro, but want a set up that will be allow the odd portrait, landscape photo as well.

Im thinking about buying second hand camera and prime lens, as this would hopefully buy me a better camera and lens for the amount I can spare. or is this a a bad move and should I buy new?

any suggestion's as to a good camera and lens mix with a £ 400 max new or second hand?
I have been looking at a second hand canon eos 600d.

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #304119 by cybersholt
Hello TelD,
You know I was looking at getting myself a decent cheap DSLR & ran across this deal (was £367) the other day. They sold out quick but it goes to show that you can find them if you have the patience. Almost forgot to mention welcome to the site!

-Sean

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #304131 by KCook
All of my better cameras have been used or refurbished. I have not had any problems with these, maybe I've been lucky? Anyways, any future camera I buy will also be used or refurbished, I simply cannot afford a new one. For Canon also check prices on the 50D and 60D (I have the 50D).

Just about any lens but a WA can be used for close work. Of course for the most extreme macro a dedicated macro lens is best. But unless you are shooting insects, you may not need to go so far as that. Fast primes are ideal for portrait, especially indoors. Outdoors you may be better off with a mild telephoto, prime or zoom. Funny thing about today's lens market, the zoom lenses are often less costly than primes. Landscape puts the least demands on the lens, unless you have a full frame body. It is easy to find posts around the internet to the effect than the usual 18-55 kit lens is junk. This is a gross exaggeration, if you find a nice deal on a camera that happens to include the kit lens, just get it. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. Links to more thoughts on lens selection -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/lenses/157...gma-tokina-or-tamron ?

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ed-canon-lens-advice

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...mmend-for-a-beginner

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...lenses-prime-vs-zoom

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 5 months ago #304297 by Screamin Scott
You didn't specify how much your budget is... That said, places like keh.com will have good prices on used & refurbished cameras & lenses. With a 6 month guarantee to boot... I use them (just bought 2 used lenses) & they are very conservative in their ratings. What they list as "bargain" would go as "excellent" on eBay (eBay is a crap shoot unless you know what you are doing) ... Base model cameras will need lenses with built in focus motors in order to auto focus. That applies to Nikon & I'm assuming the other brands as well...The next step up will have the built in focus motors & will not have that limitation thus you can save some money buying yesterday's latest & greatest & save some money doing so...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #304355 by KCook

The next step up will have the built in focus motors & will not have that limitation thus you can save some money buying yesterday's latest & greatest & save some money doing so...

This is the case only for Nikon brand bodies. All other brands either have the AF motor in the body (Sony), or don't (Canon), across the entire range for that brand.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 5 months ago #304375 by TelD
thank you Kelly Cook you have given me something new to think about. :thx2:

having had a look I think I should be able to pick up a eos 40d or possably an eos 50d with a EF 50mm f/1.8 or EF 75-300mm within my £400 allowed spend.

now just got to wait a few weeks untill the funds become avalabe.

:thx:

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #304391 by KCook
Alas, the 75-300 is not a top choice. It is the 55-250 that is most often recommended -

www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=362

slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1113/cat/11

In any event a 50mm focal length will be limiting for landscapes, the field of view is rather narrow for that. The least expensive landscape lens is the standard 18-55mm zoom. This zoom could also serve the other purposes until you add the 50mm prime or the 55-250.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024