Where to go from Nikon D7200?

6 years 10 months ago #528412 by mo7ablp7
Hello everyone,
A month ago I just got my first DSLR, I've been doing iPhoneography for quite a long time now and decided to go for a pro cam so I got the D7200. I'm pleased with the outcome and everything but I feel like a full-frame camera can do better, am I correct? It's crop sensor and full-frame will provide better image quality, bigger sensor, more light,... I think after a year or two I might make the move anyway.

My thoughts were sell the D7200 now, while it's still new and before I invest in lenses, add more money and get a full frame camera. I also think the Canons are more popular? Not that I care though - I like the Canon grip and Zoom in being just behind the shutter and ISO control being in the same area and not all the way to the left where I would require my left hand as well to shoot.

The main criteria is full-frame, image quality, Wi-Fi (yes, big deal) in that price range, maybe a bit higher. I can buy secondhand, it's fine by me, but let me know what to check for.

My style of shooting is around 14mm-50mm (full frame calculations) which translates to 10mm-30mm on crop so ultra wide, wide, street, some portraits, social media photography.

Any help?
I thought of the Canon 6D, but I have no clue yet, it's a bit old.

Thanks in advance,

6 years 7 months ago #542601 by effron
A used D810 (Nikon) should be had for a good price now....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #542687 by garyrhook
A) "Popular" is irrelevant. You want a camera that makes sense to you, and that you don't want to put down. I know that might sound a bit odd coming from a mobile phone, but it matters. Go to a store and look at Sony, Canon and Nikon and decide which system you want (or want to stay with) before you buy anything.

Oh, and you might try auto-ISO.

2) As for image quality, any larger sensor is going to be an improvement over a mobile phone in any almost every lighting condition. So you may not really know what you're looking for there. The D7200 is no exception, and has good low-light performance.

C) If you decide to stick with Nikon, you can purchase FX lenses for that body, and you would lose nothing when you decided to change over. Your investment in glass will be sound. I guess that same is true of Canon.

D) That said, a D610, D810, D750, used or new, are all good bodies.

It sounds as if you're chasing an idea, not a specific goal, though. I would encourage you to rent a body (a D610, e.g.) and try it out for several days, and compare what it can do with what you have.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #547181 by Shadowfixer1
You won't see a dramatic leap in image quality by just buying a full frame camera or a different brand. Concentrate on your skills and processing to see dramatic improvements. Can gear help? Yes, but only if used to take advantage of it's strengths. In 80% of situations you won't see a difference especially if you print the images. Perfect your skills, then worry about the gear.  
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #556456 by Mike Rogers
www.rubycamera.com/ found this one here using a new price comparison tool that just came out.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024