Need DSLR decision help please and thank you!!!

5 years 10 months ago #586598 by tomstevensone
Hello, I currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a Canon 28 - 105mm 0.48m/1.6ft AF lense, a Canon 75 - 300mm 1.5m/4.9ft AF lense and a Canon EFS 18 - 55mm 0.28/0.9ft lense which we mostly
use in the Auto mode.  And yes, I know we don't utilize the full potential of the equipment we now have.  While we were on vacation recently my wife offered to return the favor of taking a picture for a couple and was shocked by the difference in just looking through the viewfinder of that couple's camera.  It was so much better than ours it was like night and day.  So now, I'm on a quest to find a better, clearer camera system.  I realize DSLR's have come a long way since the XT.  We mainly take wildlife, landscapes and the pictures of us with a landscape background.  We don't need a $5,000.00 camera.  We are retired and on a fixed income so we don't want/need top of the line everything, just a big improvement!!!  Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance.  Tom

5 years 10 months ago #586816 by garyrhook
You want to go to a camera store and lay hands on product. You might consider current models from Nikon, Canon (you can reuse your lenses) and Sony. You might consider a mirrorless system from Panasonic, Olympus or Fuji. (Micro 4/3 systems all have interchangeable lenses across manufacturers.)

But you really need to hold the cameres, investigate them, play with them. You'll know when you've found the right one: the one you don't want to put down.

Even shooting JPG, you may find that current products do a better job / have more useful features.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomstevensone
5 years 10 months ago #586953 by tomstevensone
I went to a local camera shop and the guy at the counter recommended a Canon Rebel T7i to use with my lenses. I had the opportunity while in Yellowstone to view through another person's camera and 3ft. long lense a grizzly about 1/4 mile away and all I could see was a perfect shot of her head. Talking to the guy, he stated when he bought his equipment he has approximately $12-15,000 tied up in everything but that today I could get something equivalent for half that much. That is more of what I'm looking for. Not another Rebel I'll want to replace after my 1st trip and find out it won't make that 1/4 mile shot I want. The more I read the more confused I get. I am no way shape or form a pro or semi pro. But, I want that kind of results. When I see a moose 1/2 away on a mountain side and take a picture of it, I want to see the moose not just a dark speck. Maybe this will help ppl steer me in the right direction. Thanks. Tom

5 years 10 months ago #586993 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tom

You sound as though you need to do both of 'take a pause' and 'seek out information' for your future photography. I say 'take a pause' meaning - do not rush into something expensive'.

The two things that gets me from your O.P. are a) what sort of viewfinder was this other camera using ... optical or electronic? and b) your use of Auto mode suggests you still have a way to go in the learning department [no offense meant here]

With regards viewfinders, for me - after 40+ years of SLRs with optical viewfinders I now use 100% electronic viewfinder cameras as they are so far in front of optical viewfinders it's not funny. If you want a bright & responsive viewfinder, you'll need to swap brands as Canon have yet to release a budget-priced SLR with an EVF.

There is however a third option - have a serious look at both the Panasonic FZ-300 and the Canon Powershot 540 - both are fixed lens superzooms with very powerful zoom lenses, and each costs under $500. While the sensor is smaller that your existing camera, maybe the EVF plus the powerful zoom lens will give you more of what you want and the existing camera + lenses can be used for other things

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 10 months ago #587005 by tomstevensone
Unfortunately my wife didn't tell me the huge difference between our xt and the other persons camera until we were away from the other couple. She did however look through the viewfinder not a EVF. That being said, with a DSLR I presume she was looking through the lense. So it could have just been something other than a kit lense he had. Thank you so much for your response. Tom

5 years 10 months ago #587015 by Ozzie_Traveller

tomstevensone wrote: Unfortunately my wife didn't tell me the huge difference between our xt and the other persons camera until we were away from the other couple. She did however look through the viewfinder not a EVF. That being said, with a DSLR I presume she was looking through the lens. So it could have just been something other than a kit lense he had. Thank you so much for your response. Tom

Hi Tom
You might be confusing the rear LCD panel of a 'cheap' digital camera with the viewfinder / eyepiece.  Nearly all mirrorless interchangeable lens &/or fixed-lens superzoom cameras have a regular-looking eyepiece / viewfinder, just like a dSLR ... and you are always looking directly thru the lens with whatever amount of zoom you have activated
Hope this helps
Phil

5 years 10 months ago #587168 by garyrhook
You're not going to get great results without practice. It's just not possible.

You're not going to get results that require the high-end equipment without getting and using high-end equipment.

You can, however, rent equipment. If you want to take an 800mm lens and a full-frame camera on a trip (with a tripod) you can rent all of that, and be out a lot less money. You can buy something more modest to for daily practice, so you know what to do with the big toys. And you don't need the newest camera body to do so. You could get a T5 or T6, or look for a used 6D or 7D, or some such. There are lots of options.

But I agree that you really need to slow down and step back. You may be best served by finding a local meet up and getting involved with folks that may better answer your questions, be able to help you locally, and have equipment that could demonstrate various aspects.

Nothing wrong with having a goal, but there's going to be a journey involved.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587179 by Ozzie_Traveller

garyrhook wrote: You're not going to get great results without practice. It's just not possible. .... But I agree that you really need to slow down and step back. You may be best served by finding a local meet up and getting involved with folks that may better answer your questions, be able to help you locally, and have equipment that could demonstrate various aspects.  Nothing wrong with having a goal, but there's going to be a journey involved.

+1 here
Phil

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024