Need advices about what gear to purchase

1 year 6 months ago #595642 by Tony HD
Hello, I'm a musician and I need to purchase a camera + lens for guitar videos production.

Here is my benchmark, I'd like my videos to get close to this look:

I know there is a post production job here (color grading) but what's the basis to achieve this look?
Any advice is welcome! Thank you.

(I already own a pair of softboxes + old Sony Handycam but this one is technically outdated).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago #595644 by Tony HD
Here is a "rawer" version of my reference model, apparently same shooting equipment but no post production work. Maybe that's help.

1 year 6 months ago #595988 by Tony HD
Advice anyone?

1 year 6 months ago #596005 by garyrhook
It's hard to say. There's clearly a very short focal length at work; could be a mobile phone for all we know, with good micing.

We use a Panasonic GH7 for video recording, and I've been very, very happy with it. Excellent quality and imaging for what we need. And no limit when recording in HD. Works as a fine mirrorless system for stills, too.

One thing I see here is pretty even lighting, with the source at camera upper right. Probably a very large softbox? hard to know.  If you haven't considered lighting, I'd suggest starting there. If you have a friend that's a photographer, ask for some assistance.

Finally, why don't you write to the guy and ask him? Worst case, you get ignored. but he just might be willing to share his setup with you.

Photo Comments

1 year 6 months ago #596025 by Tony HD
Hey Gary thank you for this helpful comment.
I agree about the lighting + lighting orientation, I just bought softboxes a couple days ago and Im just starting experimenting with them.

(For some reason I can't write to him)

1 year 6 months ago #596043 by garyrhook
I guess he's some big deal? I don't know the name, but all of the info is for the label, so I guess you can't really communicate with him.

Stand by my suggestion of finding a friend that can help with sorting it all out.

Photo Comments

1 year 6 months ago #596223 by Tony HD
Big name yes.

Yes that's what I did but no one around me is really string at analysing images etc.
so basically that's why I subscribed to this forum! Thanks for the comments Gary.
Then I assume you're also a musician!

1 year 6 months ago #596224 by Tony HD
*I meant strong

1 year 6 months ago #596287 by garyrhook

Tony HD wrote: Then I assume you're also a musician!

Yep.

Photo Comments

1 year 6 months ago #596407 by Shadowfixer1
Panasonic GH5s

1 year 6 months ago #596442 by Tony HD
Thanks Shadowfixer

1 year 6 months ago #596443 by Tony HD
Thanks Shadowfixer it's on my checklist

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020