DSLR advice/anamorphic lens q

5 years 8 months ago #596245 by Thofah
Hi all.I was hoping pro-photographers could advise me on what sort of camera I should get for photography and (some) videography purposes. I have access to a Panasonic G7 and a GH5, in addition to a Canon 550D, but am looking for my own camera, budget is ideally 'how low can you go' but couple hundred at this time would be ace (2nd hand or refurb).The sort of spec I need includes:• 4K camcorder option for long recording times, so it can be placed static at events (24 FPS at least)
  • A larger sensor. I am looking to occasionally shoot in a 'cinematic' style and am learning the post-production elements to achieve this. It might be a silly q but will a DSLR allow me to shoot with a similar look to current wide screen cinema standards, 2.35:1 or 1.85:1? I am told i need an aspect ratio of 4:3..
  • Would you say I need anamorphic lenses which i understand are prized by many pro-photographers for the cinematic look? 
I also saw this nugget of info from a photographer :
  • Silenced mirror shutter for optical viewfinder - cinematographers require the capability to look "through the lens" directly, just as photographers demand it with SLR photography. However, SLRs shooting in video mode lock the mirror and video is only taken by viewing a display, not through the lens. This is because the camera would need to rapidly cycle between the shutter and the mirror which is mechanically demanding and noisy. Cinema cameras are exclusive in that they have this capability.
I'm guessing from this advise I should also stick to a non-mirrorless camera? I'm open to all brands as long as image quality and lens lets me operate in low light (anything under a f2 aperture will be low light I am told)?I class myself as an amateur but am always looking to learn :) Apologies for any misinformation/rehashing stuff you already may know, and I thank you in advance for your help! Tia 

5 years 8 months ago #596542 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Thofah

Firstly - WELCOME to the Forum - there are many fellow photographers & some movie makers here as well :)

Your post asked various Qs and I can't answer all as I do not make videos ... but camera technique I perhaps can help with

All the dSLRs which permit mirror-up operation do so under one of 2 conditions ... a) during hi-speed sports photography where the mirror up/down/up/down is just too much effort - so it is locked up AND an extra optical viewfinder us used on top of the camera body, and b) in so-called Live-View mode where the camera pretends to become a mirrorless camera BUT only for 20 or 30 seconds than it closes down and you have to start all over again

This is where the new breed of mirrorless cameras like Panasonic and Olympus become excellent choices for video work. Other posters here [Garyrhook for example] already use the Panasonic GH5 camera and is/are getting excellent results

You are also mentioning wide-screen standards - I am not knowledgeable of these, but if you look at the site below, you can do some qwik maths and work out what is possible

www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dcgh5

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder

www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 8 months ago #596560 by Thofah
Thanks so much for your help! I often find the images shot in the Outback to be among the best i've ever seen! Will bear your recommendations in mind :)

5 years 8 months ago #596600 by Baydream
When shooting video with a DSLR, you are using the "live view" mode. You may want to use an LCD viewfinder that attaches over the LCD screen and allows a steadier view. Something like this. www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1129189-R...view_50_3_2_lcd.html

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #596674 by garyrhook
Welcome +1.

We actually use Panasonic GH7s. Love them. Typically, 16x9 (HD aspect ratio). You need to look elsewhere for wider ratios. I have no idea what filmmakers use to achieve that.

Anamorphic lenses? There's probably something out there. Probably very expensive. I know that Cine lenses are spendy.

4K is limited in recording length on a DSLR or mirrorless. The GH7 will do 30 minutes at a time. It's a codec licensing issue, I'm told. You'd need a real video camera to get unlimited.

Sony Alphas are mirrorless. And worth considering for their function and features.

However, none of these are in your budget. Full frame? Entry point of $1000 for an older model (D3s). 4K? Newer models, higher price. Inherent noiseless mode on a DSLR? Only on the D850, as far as I know. Price: $3300. (I'm unfamiliar with using mirror lock-up for shooting.)

Sadly, seems a champagne/beer analogy here. Best of luck.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #596675 by Thofah
Hi there, Thanks for the insight. Much as I'd love a Red Dragon or an Arri I have to be realistic lol. Yeh I saw the prices for such cameras $$$.
I'll shop around and would stump up the cash if needs be!

5 years 8 months ago #596676 by Thofah
Thanks for the tip!

5 years 8 months ago #596702 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Another option, still from Panasonic might be to consider their FZ2000 / 2500 which has 1001 video features like the GH5/ GH7 and has a price tag under US$1000

Here's the review on DP Review.com
www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/comp.../panasonic_dmcfz2500

Hope this helps

5 years 8 months ago #597747 by Thofah
I will be sure to check it out! Thanks for the tip!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024