80D vs X-T2?

5 years 7 months ago #597372 by Adelga
So I'm looking to buy my first camera mainly to shoot landscape and some high speed activity, so far I've been borrowing my friend's X-T2 camera.My situation is:
  1. Buy a new 80D body only for $850 or $920 with kit.
  2. Buy a (still good) used X-T2 body only for $940.
I have around $1300 budget, should i buy an 80D and spend the rest on prime lens, or buy a used X-T2 with kit lens (around $240 used, $332 new)?I won't have more budget for lenses in about half a year and i'm planning to use this camera body for about 3 years.Thank you for the help everyone.

5 years 7 months ago #597882 by Shadowfixer1
Determine which system you would prefer to move forward. Don't look at just a body or a lens. Look down the line and decide which system you would prefer to use 5 years from now. If you think you would actually like to move to full frame in the future, then get the Canon and add full frame glass along the way. Full frame lenses will work just fine on the 80D. If you don't care about full frame and prefer to shoot jpg instead of RAW, then go with the Fuji. Fuji has great color for skin tones in my opinion. Canon color science is also highly thought of and preferred by many. The main thing is decide on a system as changing systems is expensive. Flashes, remote cords, batteries, etc. all have to change with a system swap.
5 years 7 months ago #598063 by KCook
Excellent points by Shadowfixer1 :thumbsup:

I have a little experience with the Canon 50D and Fuji X-T20.  Without getting into the weeds too much, I think a Canon is easier for a beginner to get comfortable with than a Fuji.  Fuji generally has the better lenses, which can make a difference for serious landscape work.  Too bad the Fuji lenses are more expensive too (no free lunch).  You can examine high rez images from the Canon lenses that interest you to see if they are sharp enough.  One unique advantage for Fuji is their film simulations and other JPG controls.  But this applies only to JPGs, where RAW images are concerned I prefer working with Canon RAWs.

I have no experience with high speed work, but I would put my bet on Canon for that.

If I had the budget Fuji would be very tempting.  But I would go with a X-E2(s) instead of the X-T2.  The controls are different and the X-E2 just suits my style of shooting better.

As Canon is expected to launch a whole new mirrorless line within a year their APS-C DSLR line is really being overshadowed by that.  Still very good cameras (as DSLR go), just feels like they are teetering toward extinction.  Of course Fuji has a much, much smaller market share than Canon.  But the demand for Fuji is steadily growing.  No big lurch on their horizon.

What I have actually ended up with is M4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic).  Generally better lenses than Canon APS-C at prices lower than Fuji.

rambling Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024