80D vs X-T2?

1 year 11 months ago #597372 by Adelga
So I'm looking to buy my first camera mainly to shoot landscape and some high speed activity, so far I've been borrowing my friend's X-T2 camera.My situation is:
  1. Buy a new 80D body only for $850 or $920 with kit.
  2. Buy a (still good) used X-T2 body only for $940.
I have around $1300 budget, should i buy an 80D and spend the rest on prime lens, or buy a used X-T2 with kit lens (around $240 used, $332 new)?I won't have more budget for lenses in about half a year and i'm planning to use this camera body for about 3 years.Thank you for the help everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #597882 by Shadowfixer1
Determine which system you would prefer to move forward. Don't look at just a body or a lens. Look down the line and decide which system you would prefer to use 5 years from now. If you think you would actually like to move to full frame in the future, then get the Canon and add full frame glass along the way. Full frame lenses will work just fine on the 80D. If you don't care about full frame and prefer to shoot jpg instead of RAW, then go with the Fuji. Fuji has great color for skin tones in my opinion. Canon color science is also highly thought of and preferred by many. The main thing is decide on a system as changing systems is expensive. Flashes, remote cords, batteries, etc. all have to change with a system swap.

1 year 10 months ago #598063 by KCook
Excellent points by Shadowfixer1 :thumbsup:

I have a little experience with the Canon 50D and Fuji X-T20.  Without getting into the weeds too much, I think a Canon is easier for a beginner to get comfortable with than a Fuji.  Fuji generally has the better lenses, which can make a difference for serious landscape work.  Too bad the Fuji lenses are more expensive too (no free lunch).  You can examine high rez images from the Canon lenses that interest you to see if they are sharp enough.  One unique advantage for Fuji is their film simulations and other JPG controls.  But this applies only to JPGs, where RAW images are concerned I prefer working with Canon RAWs.

I have no experience with high speed work, but I would put my bet on Canon for that.

If I had the budget Fuji would be very tempting.  But I would go with a X-E2(s) instead of the X-T2.  The controls are different and the X-E2 just suits my style of shooting better.

As Canon is expected to launch a whole new mirrorless line within a year their APS-C DSLR line is really being overshadowed by that.  Still very good cameras (as DSLR go), just feels like they are teetering toward extinction.  Of course Fuji has a much, much smaller market share than Canon.  But the demand for Fuji is steadily growing.  No big lurch on their horizon.

What I have actually ended up with is M4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic).  Generally better lenses than Canon APS-C at prices lower than Fuji.

rambling Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

Canon unveiled the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 this morning. Both cameras look to be game-changers for Canon, and both will ship soon!

Jul 09, 2020

Is there really a reason to have a filter kit for landscape photography these days? Lightroom is all-powerful, right? Wrong...there are lots of reasons to have lens filters.

Jul 08, 2020

The H&Y RevoRing is a revolutionary new variable step ring that will save you money, time, and space in your camera bag!

Jul 08, 2020

The wedding album is an important vessel for the photographs you take. With these tips for creating a wedding album, make something that will impress your clients and give them long-lasting memories.

Jul 07, 2020

The Nikon Z7 is one of Nikon's most popular cameras. Because of its popularity, there are many accessories available as well. Here's our list of some of the best ones.

Jul 06, 2020

In the Canon EOS 80d vs Canon EOS 90D debate, you might think that the 90D is a hands-down winner since it's newer. But that might not be the case.

Jul 06, 2020

Using these marketing ideas for photographers, you can reach potential clients in an authentic way, and do so without spending a dime.

Jul 03, 2020