Best mirrorless around $500

5 years 7 months ago #599691 by elektrobank
I'm currently looking at the Canon M50 and the Sony a6000. I like how compact the Sony body is, but it is a bit concerning they haven't updated it in 4 years. The 6300 would be a clear choice but is more than I want to spend. I'd like to keep the price of the kit around $500-600 range. I've been looking at a ton of reviews and people seem to be pretty split on these two. Is there any reason I should choose one over the other? Or are there any other cameras I should be looking at?Thanks

5 years 7 months ago #599866 by garyrhook
Um. I think the a6300 is the update to a6000. Yes, older technology. And the Canon is probably dead, sense they're going to coming out with a new product soon.

Unless you've laid hands on them, you shouldn't settle on anything. Get to a store and hold them, use them, and find out what make sense.

Consider Panasonic micro 4/3s as well.

Or find a used micro 4/3 body. People "upgrade" all the time. Find your candidates first, then find someone that wants to unload a body.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602212 by saponcpa
I think Sony a6000 is the best . Because You have customized buttons, including two dedicated custom buttons which can be assigned any of 47 functions.

5 years 7 months ago #602216 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day EB

May I suggest that you make a short list of what's important and what's less important, also considering what exactly you want to use the camera for ... and then start short-listing cameras to suit your needs

As well as above - do you have any lenses to consider? - in fact, what sort of lenses will you need? - are they available at an economical price? - what are your images going to be used for? - do you need a 'large' or 'small' sensor? - could you make use of someone else's trade-in?

I use a Panny G2 mirrorless - fabulous camera but later models have become a bit faster to process the image; offer a few extra menu options etc. Would I part with it - 'no' it suits my needs AND my hands/fingers perfectly, so I'm keeping it.

Depending upon your image needs - have you considered a fixed-lens superzoom ... after all these lovely beasties are all mirrorless jobs, with a very surprising set of options, menu choices, Fn buttons all over the place and very definitely fit into your budget. Have a sqwiz at the Panny FZ-300 for example - you may be quite surprised :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 6 months ago #609436 by Ian Stone
You can likely find a a6300 on the used market for under $500.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609450 by paoloko
You should definitely take a look at Fujifilm . Excellent bodies made for photographers with all the buttons and switches placed exactly where they must be, a terrific lineup of lenses and not to mention the JPEG's you get straight out of the camera. 

Hand Made Camera Straps: www.HyperionCameraStraps.com
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609521 by MM Images

paoloko wrote: You should definitely take a look at Fujifilm . Excellent bodies made for photographers with all the buttons and switches placed exactly where they must be, a terrific lineup of lenses and not to mention the JPEG's you get straight out of the camera. 

:agree: Fujifilm has some cameras and impressive lineup of glass.  I actually see this company as one of those industry 'sleepers' that Nikon, Canon and Sony need to keep a good eye on.    

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609736 by Garbo
Unless you going further back, and buying used, the a6300 is going to be your best move.  Spending a bit more, and shopping the used market, you might be able to find a good deal for used a7 or a7R first generation for maybe 2x your budget.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024