Canon 5D vs 6D

1 year 9 months ago #605417 by Njs556
Hello, everyone!

I'm an amateur photographer trying to get into the full frame world and would like some advice. The two cameras I'm trying to decide between are the Canon EOS 5D (Mark 1) and the Canon EOS 6D (Mark 1). I understand that the 6D will deliver better results (for the most part) but it's also more expensive. It may be out of my budget of about $600. On the other hand, people love the 5D because of its color reproduction and "style". No matter which camera I choose I'm going to buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens and then decide if I want to upgrade my lens later.

Is the 6D worth the extra money for an amateur, or will the 5D be just fine? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #605501 by garyrhook
You don't want the 5D mk I. It's very old technology, and you will only end up frustrated. I used one once for a buddy, and was not impressed.

Suggest you save and work towards the 6D as an entry point.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this 2020 star tracker buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the best star trackers currently on the market.

Jul 14, 2020

A central part of your photo editing gear should be your monitor. But what is the best monitor for editing photos? Find out my pick!

Jul 13, 2020

The Canon EOS 1DX might be nearly 10 years old, but it still packs a punch for professional photographers in need of a high-quality second camera.

Jul 13, 2020

Travel photography gear comes in all shapes and sizes, but what are the best items to pick up? Check this list for our top picks!

Jul 10, 2020

A camera belt is the ideal camera strap alternative because it puts the weight of your gear on your hips. It's a more comfortable way to carry your camera gear!

Jul 10, 2020

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020