Looking for advice: Panasonic Lx10/15 or Canon G7X MII: audio and stabilization

1 year 9 months ago #606681 by vincintosh
Good morning everyone, I'm looking for a compact camera and this seemed the best place to ask some advice. So, I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a Panasonic Lx10/15 or a Canon G7X MII.
I've looked at some samples and in my opinion they both take great pictures, so picture-wise I think they should be equivalent. Some people on youtube say the G7XMII captures some slightly more significative chromatic aberration, but I can't actually see it in sample shots I've found around the web nor I've found similar infomation regarding the Lx10 in order to compare them.
What I'm mainly looking for, though, is video capabilities. I'm not interested in 4K since I don't even want to imagine how hard it is to edit. Also, I want to record at 60fps, so really the 4K capabilities of
the Lx10 is not a plus for me. What I'm really interested in is the audio quality and the stabilization capabilities.

For audio I'm not expecting anything special from the internal mics, but I want something decent since you cannot plug in an external mic. Now, I really love the G7XMII picture quality and stabilization, but I realized that the G7XMII audio really sucks (sounds very muffled, like you're talking to someone on the phone), to the point that my OnePlus 5 almost records better audio (not to mention that I could plug an external microphone into it). I've also seen that people use to stick a windscreen thing on the  microphone and I've seen it improving the audio quality, not only because it reduces the noise, but also because the owner's voice actually sounds a bit better and less muffled. I would like to know if my first impression actually resembles reality or there's something I'm missing. Does the audio really suck that much or can you tweak the settings a little bit and/or equalize it in post production to make it
sound a little more decent?

On the other hand the Lx10 audio sounds way better, it's more "stereo-ish", has a wider dynamic range and it's way more clear: it sounds like you're actually recording in 2018 instead of 2008. But its
stabilization is very poor: I see people recording while walking and the footage is shaky, everything trembles, it looks like the lens is about to detach from the camera. I don't know if this is due to people recording in 4K (maybe 1080p is better stabilized) or if it is really the best that the camera can do.

Color-wise, I like the G7XMII colors more, but I guess you can tweak the Lx10 settings to make it look a bit warmer and more saturated.

Any suggestions from owners and/or experts is very appreciated. Thank you for your time

P.S.: of course there would be the option to buy a RX100MV or MIV but it is way out of my budget

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this 2020 star tracker buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the best star trackers currently on the market.

Jul 14, 2020

A central part of your photo editing gear should be your monitor. But what is the best monitor for editing photos? Find out my pick!

Jul 13, 2020

The Canon EOS 1DX might be nearly 10 years old, but it still packs a punch for professional photographers in need of a high-quality second camera.

Jul 13, 2020

Travel photography gear comes in all shapes and sizes, but what are the best items to pick up? Check this list for our top picks!

Jul 10, 2020

A camera belt is the ideal camera strap alternative because it puts the weight of your gear on your hips. It's a more comfortable way to carry your camera gear!

Jul 10, 2020

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020