Advice for first camera

5 years 2 months ago #628865 by midor
Hi together,

I am an inexperienced amateur photographer and would like to raise my
photographic level somewhat. My interest in photography lies in the comparison
of historical vs. current cityscapes (i.e., looking for old photos and
postcards and then taking pictures from the same, contemporary perspective to
show the development, so-called "refotography").
At the moment I use a simple digital camera (Canon PowerShot A2200HD). I do not
have very high expectations because I am less concerned with the artistic
aspect of the photos. However, I notice that in less than ideal lighting
conditions with my current camera, I often reach some limits in image quality
and would like to have a higher image quality. I would therefore like to invest
in a slightly more professional camera and need some advice to find my way
around in the huge range of types of cameras.

I illustrate by two photos attached in which aspects I would like to improve
the image quality:
- in areas of darker light conditions in the first photo (IMG_3507), the picture looks blurry and "grainy"when you zoom in a bit
- towards the edges, the first picture looks curvy, I would like to have a larger
area in which the picture is without this bend
- even where there are good lighting conditions (second photo IMG_3511), the photo is a bit "garish" and grainy if you zoom in,which I’m unable to correct through (my modest knowledge of) image editing

I am less or not at all interested in things like strong zoom, close-ups,
nighttime shots or motion. I just want a camera that makes the images cleaner
and in higher resolution, even in less favorable lighting conditions. If
possible, the camera should be in the lower price segment, say up to 300 €. If
no significant improvement in this segment would be possible I would also
consider investing more (but I might also find a cheaper used camera). An SLR
camera would overwhelm me as a beginner I think, I'm just looking for a good
but reasonably professional entry-level camera.

I would be very grateful for any tip!

Make: Canon
Model: Canon PowerShot A2200
ISO: 160
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 12:14pm

Make: Canon
Model: Canon PowerShot A2200
ISO: 80
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Captured: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 12:24pm

Attachments:
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #629194 by garyrhook
You mention issues that won't be addressed with a new camera body.

Curves: that's a result of a wide angle lens, and the physical world fix for that is a tilt-shift lens. Which start at over $2000. They're not required; you can fix this in post.

The light.... you get what you get, and address in post. Either with a file that has a wide dynamic range. or by shooting multiple exposures and blending in post.

A modest full frame body (e.g. Nikon D610) would get you started, but you'll want a good lens or two, a tripod and post processing software. And education and experience. It takes time and work, and an understanding of many parameters.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629336 by KCook
I agree with Gary. Also, these look like a cheap filter was in use. Or the lens was fogged over.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024