Buying camera for cruise

4 years 11 months ago #641136 by Will-Buntin
I'm going on a cruise to Alaska and I'm looking for a non-DLSR camera. I think in order of importance, Price (under 500)
Image quality
Zoom (>25x)Wouldn't mind to have Bluetooth but that is optional.The cameras I've narrowed it down to are  Panasonic Lumix FZ300
Panasonic Lumix FZ80 (currently on sale for 297)
Canon PowerShot XS70
Canon PowerShot XS530
Canon PowerShot XS60 Are there any of these any of you would recommend over the others? Have I left a good option off the list? The FZ80 is looking good right now because of its price. I know my budget precludes having the 'best image' - I'm looking for the best image I can get on my budget. Any help is appreciated.

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #642800 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Will

Firstly - WELCOME to the forum - coz you've come to the right place for answers :)
Secondly - although I do have a Panny dSLR, I am like you in that I am essentially a non-dSLR user and love these superzoom cameras

Both Canon and Panny make good cameras [along with 1/2-dozen other mobs] but lets concentrate on your choices. Personally I use Panny equipment - over the past decade have also used canon & fuji and settled on Panasonic

There are two big things for you to consider ... a) the lens quality and b) the small sensor comes with both +ve and --ve issues

Lens first ... the more zoom within the lens design, the more compromises the maker has had to build in and compensate for. Over the years I have seen 'some' beaut sharp images shot at 50x zoom and many blurry images at 50x zoom.

Sensor second ... the more pixels that are squashed into a small space, the more noise that will appear on images, and your coffee-table book after the cruise will show this noise as well

My 100% for you would be to pay the extra $$ and go for the FZ-300/330 camera for several reasons.
1- the lens is a 24x zoom max; it is known to be very sharp, and it is unique in that it is a 'constant aperture' lens as it zooms. In other words, as you zoom outwards, it holds its aperture rather than closing down to a smaller aperture. There are canon & nikon dSLR constant aperture lenses and they cost 'heaps'
2- is the sensor is locked at 12mpx - a very smart move by Panasonic and it means that noise is limited considerably when compared with other 'bridge' cameras

The FZ-300 also has heaps of extra features for you to play with should you wish to do so. More on these with a later reply if you want to know more

ps- I have the FZ-200, older version of the FZ-300 and it's g-r-e-a-t :) ... along with the FZ-2500 as well

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Will-Buntin
4 years 9 months ago #651033 by Will-Buntin
Thanks for the feedback. From my original list, I have taken your advice and narrowed it down to the FZ300. I was looking at Amazon today and they have the FZ1000 knocked down to 597 ($200 more than the FZ300. Any insight as to what the extra 300 gets me? I do see the sensor is larger (1"). I don't know anything about the lens. They have increased it to a 21.1MPX which I know you commented that keeping that lower helps reduce noise. Not sure how the increase in sensor size with an increase in MP plays out. It is also a lower zoom (from 24 to 16). I'm figuring I'll want to take pictures from the boat to shore and would like to be able to get a decent zoom. Since they are both Panasonic's I'm thinking they will share a few features. I guess I just don't really know what to take into account to help me decide if I want to spend an additional $200. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

4 years 9 months ago #651045 by Will-Buntin
Just found the FZ1000 for 450 on eBay. That changes the math a bit...

4 years 9 months ago #651047 by Nikon Shooter
You guys are swimming in waters that are
totally unknown to me! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651107 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Will

I would still go for the FZ-300 as your walk-around bluddy-good camera for this cruise

Yes there are differences between the FZ-300 and the FZ-1000 ~ also there is a size & weight difference as well ie: the FZ1000 is about 10% larger and 25% heavier
[for NS .... it's about the same difference between a mid-range APS dSLR and a top-of-the-range APS dSLR in size and weight and sensor responsiveness]

The FZ-300 has the later features for fast focus, beaut EVF and the new 4K multi-shooting modes

=if= you are planning prints of 20" x 30" on a regular basis, then the larger sensor FZ1000 will be better ... however if you are wanting a "walk-around-Porsche" then go for the FZ-300

Hope this helps

4 years 9 months ago #651165 by Will-Buntin
Thanks Ozzie_Traveller!

4 years 9 months ago #651410 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Will

Some suggestions - without costing any $$$

Download the 200+page FZ-300 user manual and meander thru its options and settings. Most will be familiar to you ~ just like swapping from one car to another car ~ but other bits will be quite new and open up possibly / hopefully exciting possibilities

The FZ ~ just like your dSLR had the usual P-A-S-M shooting modes, although apertures don't go down as far as F22, -but- is also has 2 or 3 other shooting modes that do not exist on dSLR cameras.

Investigate the 4K shooting options ~ in-camera focus stacking; & 60fps shooting modes ~ great for hummingbirds + insects in flight. Investigate the creative / arty-farty shooting mode for some potentially exciting in-camera filters and special effects ... and so it goes on & on

It may be that you will never return to a regular dSLR after your cruise :)

ps- I had the user manual printed up for $15 as a lovely wire-bound manual that fits easily into the lid of my camera case

Hope this helps

The following user(s) said Thank You: Will-Buntin
4 years 9 months ago #651420 by Troponin
Good stuff! 

I have actually considered getting a  PaS instead of a new lens. I feel like I want too many lenses for stuff that is not my niche, vacation snapshots are one of them. Sometimes I leave the camera at home because i don’t have the right  lens for the event. A point and shoot would solve all of that.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024